• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help ID

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So last night I was looking at my tank and noticed a very tinny starfish on the glass. This morning I see two on the glass. My question is can anyone ID (I might be able to get a better image later)? Also are they bad or ok to have?
20161025_060140.jpg

Looks like an asterina starfish. Some have no issues while others report seeing them eat Zoas. I have always removed them when/if I see
Them.
After buying a small Zoa colony on a rock over a 2 month period I had about 30-40 of them in my tank and seen them on my zoas which explained why they sometime times didn't open,, so I went out and bought a Harelquin shrimp and problem solved, great looking shrimp Blue&White that I feed the star fish to him when he's out I would pick one off the glass and feed him. This is why I dip my corals now..... But my kids love the Harelquin Shrimp.......

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I was thinking asterina as well guys so thanks. Not sure if I should get a harelquin shrimp cause I do have a sand star and a sea star. I read what @downbeach just posted. It seems like they could be fine in my tank but could also eat my corals. I don't think I want to risk my corals but I also don't want a harequin shrimp to starve. Is there anyway other way of removing these guys from a system? By hand?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I was thinking asterina as well guys so thanks. Not sure if I should get a harelquin shrimp cause I do have a sand star and a sea star. I read what @downbeach just posted. It seems like they could be fine in my tank but could also eat my corals. I don't think I want to risk my corals but I also don't want a harequin shrimp to starve. Is there anyway other way of removing these guys from a system? By hand?
Try removing them as you see them for a while. If it doesn't seem to be working maybe then look into a harlequin

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
After buying a small Zoa colony on a rock over a 2 month period I had about 30-40 of them in my tank and seen them on my zoas which explained why they sometime times didn't open,, so I went out and bought a Harelquin shrimp and problem solved, great looking shrimp Blue&White that I feed the star fish to him when he's out I would pick one off the glass and feed him. This is why I dip my corals now..... But my kids love the Harelquin Shrimp.......

I always dip my corals as well. Now I use Revie and never had an issue. After our meeting where I got two new corals I dipped and my wife said she could smell something funky. I wonder if my dip expired.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you can see one, you have scores and you'll soon have tons of them, but you'll only see the odd few.
A harlequin will wipe them out over a week or 2 but it will prefer the larger stars.

I tried removing them as I saw them but they seemed to multiply as I picked them out of tank, that's by I bought the Harlequin but like you didn't want it to starve,, he is doing a great job so far...when my problem is solved he will have to go to a new feeding ground,,,,,. I guess you would have to be careful he didn't attack your sand and sea star fish as we'll,,,, just a thought,

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
If you can see one, you have scores and you'll soon have tons of them, but you'll only see the odd few.
A harlequin will wipe them out over a week or 2 but it will prefer the larger stars.

Mark that my concern

I tried removing them as I saw them but they seemed to multiply as I picked them out of tank, that's by I bought the Harlequin but like you didn't want it to starve,, he is doing a great job so far...when my problem is solved he will have to go to a new feeding ground,,,,,. I guess you would have to be careful he didn't attack your sand and sea star fish as we'll,,,, just a thought,

I done some quick reading and hope to do some more soon. It looks like they will eat my sand star but may not eat the sea star.

Trying to debate if I am willing to lose my sand star. I like the look of those shrimp and but my sand star helps keep my sand clean but then again so do my snails.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I've had asterina starfish for years without issue. What was told to be is that if they are light colored....white to tan....they are reef safe. If they are dark in color, keep an eye on them...might not be reef safe.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking more of getting the harlequin shrimp because they are very cool looking shrimp. My sand star have already lived a year in my tank and by what I'm ready people say they avg about 1.5 years in tanks. I just need to do more research and make sure he will go along with everyone else in my tank

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
astrinas are generally harmless. i had loads in my tank with no ill effect. I got a harlequin not to control the population but more for the fact i wanted a harley.
With my transfer to a smaller tank Ive brought a few astrinas over with the rock. Also have a serpent star. The harley didn't make the transfer - it was adopted. I have no concerns regarding the astrinas in the new tank. If they ever get totally out of control i'll shift out the star for a week and borrow a harley to clean things up.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
astrinas are generally harmless. i had loads in my tank with no ill effect. I got a harlequin not to control the population but more for the fact i wanted a harley.
With my transfer to a smaller tank Ive brought a few astrinas over with the rock. Also have a serpent star. The harley didn't make the transfer - it was adopted. I have no concerns regarding the astrinas in the new tank. If they ever get totally out of control i'll shift out the star for a week and borrow a harley to clean things up.

Thanks @Mark_C. Been thinking it over, reading, pricing shrimp (and stars to feed) and I am now thinking of sitting and just seeing what happens

I've had thousands of the starfish over the years so.etimes I only see a few and sometimes it looks like hundreds. I have never hadone any issues with them eating and zoas or corals in that matter. If I see what tends to be a lot I just start pulling them out. My wife however has found them on the floor, she wasn't happy about that.