• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help me with the plumbing of my new tank

Hope I can get some help so I picked up a new tank 180 and a custom stand my problem well maybe not a problem I don't have a lot of room under the stand so my wife is going to let me drill some holes in the wall and let me have a sump room :) yeah for me but I'm lost after that what size sump what to use for a sump
Here's some info please let me know what else you need

The tank will be setting against the wall I will be going right behind the wall into the room the room is about 15x15 so plenty of room
Stand hight is 32in so I'm not sure if I need a certain pitch going into the room like I said I'm at a loss
What else
Does the sump lay right on the floor can I use a rubber maid tub what about a refug does that go into another sump if I use a rubber maid tub
Then return pump how big should I go
Anything else maybe a UV light
This is it for me guys no more according to the wife will see about that
But I want this to be great with no problems

Thanks In advance for the help

I don't have much advice since I've never had the pleasure of having a sump room but I'd be more than happy to come and help ya Lol sounds like fun

If you go on my thread I did a rough sketch of my set up. My tank(120) is against the wall, I drilled two holes through it to the closet on the other side. I used larger PVC piping to act as a sleeve for the plumbing to thread through the wall. Within the closet is a 29 gallon that houses the skimmer and a small fuge. From there it passively flows through a 1.5 inch bulkhead in the upper corner of the 29 through the wall and into a 40 breeder below the 120. I coud use the 40 for frags but for now it grows my ornamental macro algae, and houses the return pump to the 120 above. Works great and dead silent. Stop by and see it if you want.

I don't have much advice since I've never had the pleasure of having a sump room but I'd be more than happy to come and help ya Lol sounds like fun
Dan I will take you up on that offer
Matt is that your way of saying you are going to help?
If you go on my thread I did a rough sketch of my set up. My tank(120) is against the wall, I drilled two holes through it to the closet on the other side. I used larger PVC piping to act as a sleeve for the plumbing to thread through the wall. Within the closet is a 29 gallon that houses the skimmer and a small fuge. From there it passively flows through a 1.5 inch bulkhead in the upper corner of the 29 through the wall and into a 40 breeder below the 120. I coud use the 40 for frags but for now it grows my ornamental macro algae, and houses the return pump to the 120 above. Works great and dead silent. Stop by and see it if you want.
Thanks Pete I might try to set something up with you so I can check this out I think it would easier if I was going into a basement because I have gravity on my side but the whole I guess you can say level tank and sump situation I'm lost
I would like to put something under the tank but there is no way the door openings are just to small

Dan of you can fit a Rubbermaid stock tank I highly suggest using that for a sump. If you have the space in the room you could put that on the floor and have the 180 drain to that. Set up an external pump on manifold to pump back to the 180 and anything else you have on the system. With the stock tank on the floor you could put tank above it for a refugium. And maybe a small frag tank as well. Skimmer and extra stone in the stock tank. And your rocking. Basically that's the same way I have mine but in the basement instead of room next door.

Dan of you can fit a Rubbermaid stock tank I highly suggest using that for a sump. If you have the space in the room you could put that on the floor and have the 180 drain to that. Set up an external pump on manifold to pump back to the 180 and anything else you have on the system. With the stock tank on the floor you could put tank above it for a refugium. And maybe a small frag tank as well. Skimmer and extra stone in the stock tank. And your rocking. Basically that's the same way I have mine but in the basement instead of room next door.
Sounds like a plan john what size stock tank should I look for I have plenty of room ok and I'm going from tank to stock tank to return pump then back into the tank then a tank over that for a refuge what size tank ?

Here is how I'm set up.
My tank will enter sump room from here
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396807268.803711.jpg
Into the sump. I used a 100gal Rubbermaid stock tank
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396807305.922190.jpg
Internal pump running that manifold with reactors and out though this wall to the frag tank
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396807353.873962.jpg
And up to the refugium
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396807416.914460.jpg
I used a 65gal RR cause oddly enough it was cheaper then anything I could drill. Go figure.
I have the stock tank set up already for the external pump which I will use for the main D/T when I put it in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396807523.921506.jpg

Now for the stock tank I went with 100 since I had the room and because I could not readily find the 75 gal. Also it leaves me with a lot of extra room to handle all the flow back from the lines going 13' away. The fuge is up to you. I was going to use a 40b but could not find one I could drill without paying a ton plus I wanted the extra room for the DSB so a 65 it is.

And when you come by your more then welcome to take a look around.

Thanks john that looks like what I need to do I will hopefully see Saturday AM if that works and I can check out your system then
Thanks for all the info buddy