• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

help on how to feed frogspawn, zoo, and other softcoral

hi everyone,
can someone please help me on how to feed frogspawn, zoo and other soft corals? What is your tool to do spot feed?
thank you all
Olivier

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use a SeaSquirt (about $20) for zoo and phyto and a turkey baster for brine shrimp.

Bob

Ok,
I had the seasquirt thingy and the hole on the tip of the seasquirt is quite small for some chopped food. i have a very fine chopped food made by our members (thanks to Dan, Renee and Malulu)to feed corals. Do i need to turn my Power head off before feed those small fine chopped food?
thanks
Olivier

im not going to tell you not to spot feed your coral, but i feed as a whole, i let them get whats in the water column, but i have a verry large skimmer so i can feed heavy

I just ordered mine ( Seasquirt) and hopefully to get it by tomorrow. I use turkey blaster and sometimes a large syringe to feed my acans. Once a week I feed all my corals with oyster eggs, rotifiers and the 50/50 coral food form AF. .. hope by getting the seasquirt I can eliminate my hands on the tank all the time...

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
pnoyreefer said:
I just ordered mine ( Seasquirt) and hopefully to get it by tomorrow. I use turkey blaster and sometimes a large syringe to feed my acans. Once a week I feed all my corals with oyster eggs, rotifiers and the 50/50 coral food form AF. .. hope by getting the seasquirt I can eliminate my hands on the tank all the time...
Steve

SeaSquirt works great for liquids. The feeding prong is kinda lame.

Bob

I don't know if direct feeding unless it is required by the coral is necessary i.e suncorals and such. I think most corals get all their nutients thru the water column inadvertantly when you feed your fish and also thru lighting. Don't get me wrong feeding corals isn't a bad thing i think its all personal preference.

harry

I do all of the above: SeaSquirt, turkey Baster, large syringe with some rigid tubing, and feed the whole tank and let them get what's floating.

In a real reef there is enough food in the water column drifting and swimming by to let the coral feed themselves, but not so in a closed system.

LPS in particular show a dramatic difference in growth if you target feed.

I crush up some New Life Spectrum pellets quite often and let them soak for a while in water to break them down even further. My LPS love getting squirted with that little concoction.