• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help with Bubble Tip

I need some help with my Red Bubble Tip. I've had it for close to a year now. At first it seemed to be doing fine, the tentacles were always extended. For the past month or so, it has shrunk in size and the tentacles are almost always retracted and it's about have its size. I believe it's still alive, but don't know why it's retracted and smaller is size. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Mike

RBTA

I need some help with my Red Bubble Tip. I've had it for close to a year now. At first it seemed to be doing fine, the tentacles were always extended. For the past month or so, it has shrunk in size and the tentacles are almost always retracted and it's about have its size. I believe it's still alive, but don't know why it's retracted and smaller is size. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Mike

Any pictures and any other anemones?

Any pictures and any other anemones?

No photos right now and no other anemones

What's the stocking list? Is there any fish that could be picking at it?

Stocking List:
1 Convict (Acanthurus) Tang 2 Clowns
1 Bi-Color Angel Fish
1 Hippo (Paracanthurus) Tang
1 Yellow-Eye (Ctenochaetus) Tang
1 Christmas Wrasse
1 Majestic Angel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Anthia's

Do you feed it? How is everything else in the tank?

I probably don't feed it as often as I should. When ever I try, I target feed it with a pair of plastic tweezers, but there always a fish grabing the food first. Everything else seems fine.

I never had a tang pick at my RBTA, but the Bi-Color or Majestic Angel would likely culprits.
I don't feed mine directly all that often they tend to grow just fine. You don't have clowns?

They are fairly hardy, the worst experience I had was early on with a green bubble tip. I think temp swings did that one in assume you are not having issues with that or other parameters going nuts?

I never had a tang pick at my RBTA, but the Bi-Color or Majestic Angel would likely culprits.
I don't feed mine directly all that often they tend to grow just fine. You don't have clowns?

They are fairly hardy, the worst experience I had was early on with a green bubble tip. I think temp swings did that one in assume you are not having issues with that or other parameters going nuts?

I do have clowns. Don't know why I forgot to list them. Only parameter issue is Alk and Ca. Alk is very high and Ca was in the 300s.

I would think the clowns would help matters so that is not an issue, Alk swings or the angels would be my best guess.

i had this happen to a green BTA i had in the past. it was in that state for almost three months before i ended up just removing it because i was afraid it was going to eventually die and crash my system without me knowing. i still dont know what or why it happened

Clowns

Any type of angel has a chance of nipping, what did you feed it when you do.

BTA are more forgiving with parameters but you should always make sure they are solid.

I have had the unfortunate luck of seeing a hippo tang repeatedly pick on btas.

The BTA moved into the hippos sleeping spot and it would nip at it till it moved.

Any type of angel has a chance of nipping, what did you feed it when you do.

BTA are more forgiving with parameters but you should always make sure they are solid.

I have had the unfortunate luck of seeing a hippo tang repeatedly pick on btas.

The BTA moved into the hippos sleeping spot and it would nip at it till it moved.

I fed it mostly krill and Mysis