• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help with CO2 Regulator...

I just noticed last night that might ph controller for my Ca reactor was reading 8.05 and thought that was weird...
so i looked at my bubble counter and it wasn't bubbling... So i thought maybe the CO2 bottle was empty, it wasn't... so i moved the needle valve controller on the regulator just a little and bubbles came back...

well i was downstairs tonight again and same thing no bubbles.. so i moved the needle valve again and bubbles..
it happen 4 more times tonight.. can a regulator or needle valve go bad? has anyone experienced this?

well after searching the web, i just tried opening and closing the needle valve like 5 times...
i will go check the bubble counter in like a half hour and see how its doing..

Hopefully it's not the meeting jynx and you can get that fixed. I'm tagging along because I just got a used CO2 and Ca Reactor and maybe I can learn a thing or two.

it is still sticking...

i just went on premium aquatics and looked at the user reviews for my milwaukee regulator...
and it got 1 out of 5 in every review...

oh well.. time to shop for a new regulator...

What does everyone use here? and reviews??

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What do you have the outflow pressure set to? I know when I had mine below 15, the Co2 flow was intermittent at best. No matter how much I adjusted the needle valve I couldn't get a consistent flow. When I cranked my outflow pressure up to around 20, the needle valve was able to maintain a consistent flow. You may want to try adjusting that a little to see if it helps. Hopefully, it's not the regulator. If it is, though, let me know. I may have something here to help you out.

JohnS_323 said:
What do you have the outflow pressure set to? I know when I had mine below 15, the Co2 flow was intermittent at best. No matter how much I adjusted the needle valve I couldn't get a consistent flow. When I cranked my outflow pressure up to around 20, the needle valve was able to maintain a consistent flow. You may want to try adjusting that a little to see if it helps. Hopefully, it's not the regulator. If it is, though, let me know. I may have something here to help you out.

about 12ish... i will go move it to 20.. and see if that does the trick...

I had to set mine to 40psi, I haven't had a problem since, but once the tank starts to get low you'll need to increase it at least that's what happened with my other tank.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
billyr98 said:
i just went on premium aquatics and looked at the user reviews for my milwaukee regulator...
and it got 1 out of 5 in every review...

What does everyone use here? and reviews??

Reef Fanatic unit from PA has gotten good reviews on RC.

thats the one in my cart right now... thanks for looking up reviews for me, Phil!

i hope i can fight through this, without one, though!

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
billyr98 said:
thats the one in my cart right now... thanks for looking up reviews for me, Phil!

I have been doing lots of research as I will probably need to go to a Calcium reactor pretty soon. Its getting hard to keep up with 2 part alone.

pgordemer said:
billyr98 said:

I have been doing lots of research as I will probably need to go to a Calcium reactor pretty soon. Its getting hard to keep up with 2 part alone.

Phil don't forget the Ka Reactor. Get in on the group buy.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What is happening is there is back pressure created in the reactor causing the problem. More water in then effluent out or not enough effluent out to relieve the pressure created by the injection of the CO2. Increasing the effluent flow, or raising the pressure of the CO2 should help. I thought I had a bad regulator. I spent $100 on a new one and guess what? Same problem. For whatever reason, mine will run fine for 2 or 3 months then I have to fight with it for 6 weeks until it decides to work right again.

I have both a Milwaukee and a Blueline and they appear to both be made by the same manufacture. If I remember correctly, there is a FAQ about this topic on Bluelines website.

Good Luck! I'm off to check my regulator!

thanks rich...

i run my effluent really quick, so I can't speed that up anymore... but i will increase the PSI a little more and see if it holds..

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There really shouldn't be much of a difference to your system if your running at 20 or 40 or 200. The thing you *may* experience is the Co2 line blowing off of the infeed side of the needle valve.

JohnS_323 said:
There really shouldn't be much of a difference to your system if your running at 20 or 40 or 200. The thing you *may* experience is the Co2 line blowing off of the infeed side of the needle valve.

cool thanks John!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John - I'm guessing your needle valve is inline and not part of the regulator unit? With out a doubt, cranking up the pressure will eventually blow the valve off the line if its a regular flair fitting connection.

I believe only a fraction of the outflow pressure gets by the needle valve. The reactors are not pressure vessels and would surely come apart at much more then 8 - 10 psi. I believe the average reactor runs at 5 psi or less in the chamber. I have know idea how to figure out what pressure actually gets by the needle valve but as it is probably very little, it won't take much back pressure in the reactor to counter act it.

Hopefully a mechanical engineer will stumble by and let us know what is actually going on.

Ligershark said:
my friend uses a reef fanatic regulator and he hasnt had a problem yet and its been set up since august.

do you need to buy a seperate bubble counter with the reef fanatic???

and has anyone ever replace the needle valve on a regulator??

I see a $20 precision needle valve on Premium aquatics and its made by Reef fanatic..

this came with needle valve and solenoid valve. im sure what youre seeing is a replacement part. allquatics in hamilton on south broad st. uses this co2 regulator on their calcium reactor in their show tank.