• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help with Skimmer....please

I have an MRC MR-2 Protien Skimmer. The skimmer has never worked efficiently since the day I got it. It's running off of a Reef Marlin pump, so it's got enough pressure. Main problem is that is hardly has any bubbles in the main column. If I put my finger near the air inlets, I feel no suction, so it's not sucking any air, but I can't figure out why.

Some Pictures:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/al...p?albumid=2377

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I ran both an MRC 2 and MRC 3 for four or so years.....the best skimmer I've ever run! It sounds like your air valve is crusted up with stuff. Common problem. Unscrew the valve and see if you can clear the buildup and if needed, soak in vinegar. I still have both my MRC's....you're welcome to borrow them to see if they work with that pump.

I tried that. I took off the air valve and I can blow right through it. In fact, with the air valve completely off of the Beckett housing, I feel no suction when I put my finger against the threaded hole in the Beckett housing.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your picture link above doesn’t work, so I went to RC and looked at the pictures there. Now I’m no expert, but I don’t like your unions on the bottom of the injectors. Again, don’t know from Adam, but I just don’t like adding inches to the injectors. But going back to my first post, I’d first check those air intake valves. And I apologize for this comment, but I’m assuming you’re cleaning the beckets frequently. I do see salt build-up in the becket chambers. Mine never went more than a month between cleaning.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I apologize for repeated posts, but I keep on seeing more. I’m thinking while typing…duel injectors with a pump putting out ca 2000 gph…with the plumbing being a “manifold” with multiple tee-offs…and with too many elbows. I’m wondering how much flow is actually getting to the injectors. This might be why you’re not feeling the air sucking. Is it obnoxiously loud? My MRC’s were single injector running on a MAG 24….it sucked air like a jet engine and sounded like one as well. I think you have a pump problem….not enough flow at the injectors! Try running one injector on that set-up (temporarily block the other injector), and I think you’ll see a difference.

The manifold is only feeding a chiller and my UV. When I first got the skimmer, it had only one injector. Then I bought the second to try and improve performance, but it didn't really help. I don't know if you know Steve68, but he had the same skimmer. That's why I bought it because it did a great job for him. Anyway he had two injectors, and worked fine with a smaller pump. I'll give your idea a try, but I can't help but think there's something else wrong, maybe in the plumbing or something.

Have you pulled the injector apprart? My MRC4 ued to get shells and stuff stuck inthe injector over time and it would inhibit flow.

With the injector and needle valve clear an MRC Becket should pull air like crazy. As Paul said, best skimmer I've ever owned.

I pulled everything apart. Becketts are clean, Beckett housing is clean, yet I still get the same thing. There's gotta be an air leak somewhere that I can't find. I contacted MRC, but no reply yet.

Any of you folks are welcome to come by and see if you can find something wrong.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I still contend that you have a flow problem. Unfortunately the head loss calculator is not working on RC. A pump putting out ca 2000 gph with maybe 300 – 400 gph lost to the tee-offs, and now six, 90 degree turns in the last 6 – 8 inches…….I’d be willing to bet you have less than 600 gph at the beckett. That’s not enough.

0f41ec79-9b88-41f5-af7d-3e10b8b4dd22_zps4cab31fb.jpg

Where are you located? If your sump is close enough, I have a MAG 24 with a brand new impeller. I’m still looking for the ¾ hose I used, but I also have a barb as well that will fit the injector. You can try hooking that up to one injector and I’ll bet you see a difference. This is the pump I ran for both the MRC 2 and MRC 3 I had.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK, I’ve found it and here’s what I’ve got…..the tubing is actually 1 inch ID. If it doesn’t reach, for a couple bucks you can get the 1 inch fittings and pipe to get it close enough to hook up the tubing.

4ddb6382-a661-4048-a5b4-84f73f0b7394_zpsa32e22b6.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Ed, you might know…… John and Phyllis ran an MRC 3 with dual injectors as well….Would you happen to know what pump they used on theirs?

I used a PanWorld PX200 presure rated pump to feed the Becketts and a Tunze Silence running about 600 gph to feed the skimmer

I can try the Mag24, but here's what I don't get. Even when I close off the two taps on the piping manifold, I still get no bubbles. The length of pipe from the pump discharge to the top tee is 3ft. I can't believe that there would be that much pressure drop.