• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Helping in affected areas???

I'd like to go down to anywhere on the Jersey Shore and help with the clean-up and restoration efforts, but the Red Cross is useless.

Anyone know who I can contact to go and help? Or can I load myself and a couple others in a car and just drive down somewhere and ask if people need help?

All you hear on the news and from Christie is that they are looking for volunteers, but I haven't found anywhere to go to offer my services.....

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
There are phone numbers for each town. My buddy was in Neptune giving out free food yesterday, I think they are doing it again. I will try and get some info from him.

I called the Red Cross as my wife and I felt we had to do something. The person who answered the phone asked if we were "Trained Red Cross Volunteers"? My reply was no... she stated we needed to be trained by the Red Cross on how to volunteer properly. My reply was "How do we get trained?" She said they were too busy to train right now. Didn't know you how to be trained on how to give back to the community.

And a perfect example of why the Red Cross sucks!!! I may have found a way to go down and help...thinking about getting a bunch of people together for Saturday to go down. I'll keep you updated.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Got this email today. It will be on saturday the 10th.

Good morning,

As participants in the Atlantic County Adopt a Road program, I think you might be interested in a beach clean up event this weekend, put together by radio station 95.1 WAYV. They’re looking for volunteers to help clean up the beach areas damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Hopefully they’ll have a good turnout! The information on the event is below:

We've all been affected by Hurricane Sandy and as we try to get our homes and towns back in order, we hope you'll join the staff of 95.1 WAYV this Saturday for our first "Sandy Beach Sweep."

We'll be on the beach in Atlantic City, Ventnor, Margate and Longport from 10am till 1pm. Whether you have a half hour or 3 hours to spare, please join us. We' ll bring the trash bags and gloves, you bring some friends!!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ed, I am very familiar with that street as I have a few friends who lived there. Plus I live in same town.

Anyone wanting to help I suggest going to the local fire department and other distribution centers in the towns. They are taking volunteers to unload trucks, stock and organize, clothes food, etc. Plus they need help handing out hot food or sandwiches to people.

It is so great you want help others. I have been helping neighbors and friends all week while trying to cleanup my own house.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Got this email today. It will be on saturday the 10th.

Good morning,

As participants in the Atlantic County Adopt a Road program, I think you might be interested in a beach clean up event this weekend, put together by radio station 95.1 WAYV. They’re looking for volunteers to help clean up the beach areas damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Hopefully they’ll have a good turnout! The information on the event is below:

We've all been affected by Hurricane Sandy and as we try to get our homes and towns back in order, we hope you'll join the staff of 95.1 WAYV this Saturday for our first "Sandy Beach Sweep."

We'll be on the beach in Atlantic City, Ventnor, Margate and Longport from 10am till 1pm. Whether you have a half hour or 3 hours to spare, please join us. We' ll bring the trash bags and gloves, you bring some friends!!

Hmm, my grandfather's 80th birthday party is sat. at 12:30 and with driving times I doubt I'll be able to make it. I would have loved to have helped with this otherwise.

If you go to www.readysalem.gov and look around there is an article about volunteering and the link to the Christie's official memo. thr memo has the phone numbers to call and find out what you can volunteer with.

The red cross sticks to being trained by them even for firefighter/emt's like myself as I tried to Vol during katrina.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2