• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Henry or Marlin(Guns)

Since I broke my system down a couple years ago due to health reason, and sold the boat last spring, I've decided I need to start....actually re start another hobby. I haven't been hunting, or even shooting for many years, in fact the last weapon I shot was my M-14(obviously its been a while). I've had a number of guns early in my life, mostly Mauser actions from a MS and Springfield 03A3 in .30-06 and a couple Rems in .243 and .270. These were all great guns, but I realized my favorite gun(s) to walk through the Pa. woods/hunt, was a Win. 94 30-30, and a Colt single action .45 revolver. I started doing some research and quickly learned the Winchester no longer makes the '94, so I started looking at Marlin. The problem I've read with Marlin is that since they were bought out by the Freedom Group(Remmington) in '07/'08, their quality has suffered greatly. I've read a lot of good review about Henry, but, I'm not too happy with the method they use for loading(although its not a deal breaker). I was thinking about either a .45-70 or a .30-.30(I know, big difference), and was considering the Henry H010 or H009, or (depending on feedback) the Marlin 1895GBL or 336BL. Any opinions and/or feedback is greatly appreciate, thanks.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i think your best bet is to try and find reviews on different sites for them both. Thats usually how i figure out what i want. I was actually looking at the savage 11/111 trophy hunter xp myself for target practice in both the .223 and the 30.06, great reviews, though i don't think they make it for the bullet you are looking for. Honestly, i love target shooting and always thought i would like a rifle or handgun better, but since doing trap shooting at my uncles along with this past weekend doing sporting clays, i find it a lot more fun and challenging. I picked up a beretta with the raised sight rib for trap, and i'm thinking about a sporting over under with a shorter barrel for sporting clays, 32 inch barrel is hard to whip around on the cross field shots.

I currently have 2 marlin rifles. Both are 100th anniversary models made in 1970. one is a model 336 in .35 remington the other is a monster .444. Both are great well built guns.

I currently have 2 marlin rifles. Both are 100th anniversary models made in 1970. one is a model 336 in .35 remington the other is a monster .444. Both are great well built guns.

Yeah, if they still made them today like they did in 1970, I wouldn't have this dilemma. Having said that, I've settled on the Marlin 336BL in a .30-30 for now, with the hopes that Remington/Marlin(aka Remlin) has resolved their production/QC problems.

PS Merry Christmas