• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Herbie's Post Hurricane Fish Repopulation

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
As many of you may know, the majority of my fish were wiped out due to a generator failure during the hurricane. I have finally repopulated the tank from a variety of sources. I still have a decent amount of my SPS that survived the hurricane, but I did lose many long established colonies. But back to the new fishies. Here is a list of what is currently swimming around in my tank:

Blue Lined aka Blue striped angel - an expensive impulse buy from Pet Shanty of all places.
Flame Angel - Live Aquaria
Lemon Peel Angel - Live Aquaria
African Flameback Angel - NY Aquatics replacement fish after 5 of 6 fish died from my first order, that I actually picked up, not shipped.
Majestic Angel (changing to adult coloration) - same origin as flameback

Klein's Butterfly - Live Aquaria
Desjardini Sailfin Tang - Ocean Gallery
Kole Tang - Ocean Gallery
Blond Naso Tang - NY Aquatics replacement, I am fearing for his survival.
Vanderbilt Chromis (3x) - Live Aquaria
Pink Tail Trigger - NY Aquatics, the only survivor of my first order of 6 fish.
Green Chromis (5x) - Hurricane survivors
Vrolik's Wrasse (similar to Melanarus) - Hurricane survivor

After losing most of my fish, I am concentrating on my fish these days. I do have quite a bit of angels in there, but I did in the old tank as well. Many may say, "what, a butterfly in the reef", but I am giving him a try. He is a flake eating machine.

Many folks shy away from angels in a reef, but I embrace them. They are some of the most beautiful fish in the oceans, and I can't see not having any.

By and large, the corals are not suffering. There is picking here and there that would drive many SPS nuts crazy. The picking is very isolated and dispersed, so that no corals are suffering. It is also nice having a butterfly in there as well, and he is somewhat well behaved.

My naso has been in the tank a week and has really not been eating. I am hoping that he comes around because he is a beauty, about 4 - 5 inches w/ really nice color.

That is it for my post hurricane update.

Herb

Herb glad to here your up and running again. You have a awesome collection of fish their. Good luck with the naso hope he
comes around and starts eating.

Wow sounds amazing with those fish. I hope ur read y for it cause I know I'm not the only one thinking this but
We got to get some pics stat

Nice list Herbie. I've been looking for a few chromis to add to my tank. Those Vanderbilt's look nice. Have you had them before. What do you think of them?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great to hear from you Herb, I was thinking about you yesterday. Good luck with everything.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I like that list, what size tank and is Pet Shanty still there?
Pet Shanty is still there. I stopped in just for laughs, and they had two blue striped angels, one was huge and the other about 4-5 inches. That is the guy I picked up on impulse. My tank is a 180. The 3 dwarf angels get along ok because I have lot of tank real etate and hiding spots. The blue stripe is a little shy, but he shows his face quite a bit.

Herbie, great to hear yr recovering from the hurricane.Also I think its great to hear you have some angels in the tank,I always wanted to try and did with a flame and coral beauty but that didnt turn out well.Wishing you the best on that challenge.Also I hope yr naso starts to eat soon,not sure if this will work for you but when I had my tanks up and going I always had success by doing some algea sheets and veggies on a clip or rubber band some to a rock.Maybe even try some red gracilaria sp or sea lettuce.Hope this helped and looking forward to seeing some pics.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, here comes Herbie. Glad to see you’re coming back swinging Herb. I have no doubt your tank will be back in its glory in no time.