• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Herbie's Update

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
Well, after the power came back on quickly, I thought I was out of the woods as far as corals go. Boy was I wrong. Many of my colonies are RTNing rightbefre my eyes.

I did a 40 gal w/c with water that was salted, mixed and up to temp, but I did not let it "cook" overnite as usual. It looks like my ALK is about 13 DKH which may be ther result of my "quickie" w/c. Normally, my stuff can survive these ALK spikes nicely, but in their weakened condition, I guess not.

I am also thinking that running carbon in the reactor may not hacve been a good idea either. Maybe the water became too clear, and I ended up cooking the corals w/ my lites.

I am readying another w/c, but I am going to let the water mix overnite as I usually do.

I am not sure why I continue to see coral dying. All fish corpses have been removed right after they died.

Any ideas out there?

Herb

Personally you I think you are right about the Alk spike/water clarity/weak coral issue. All three of those combined may have just thrown off the balance. As quick as you removed the fish I can't imagine you would have had an issue there. I hope you can figure this out. As I posted before if I can help with anything feel free to ask

Herb run a high dose of carbon 24/7 once they start RTN there is little hope if you need a hand I can come up there and help you out. Like they say two heads are bettor then one, and when the tank gets stable I have plenty of corals for you.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Herb I am here to help and when you are back up and ready I can frag some corals for you.

Yes cut out what's good ASAP I also have everything you gave me its healthy and growing great you can have it all back plus some of my favorits when you are ready good luck herb sorry to see all this happen to you

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Herb, have you tried feeding your corals throughout any of this? Maybe some coral snow or some frozens floating around will help them?

I'm not sure if doing the quickie WC was that much of an issue. All you really need is a good hour or so for it to mix in good and it would have been fine.

Stupid question, but worth asking... by any chance, did you get any exhaust from your generator in the house while you had the power out? Even a slow seepage through the garage door could have raised the co2 levels and may have been a factor in all of this (fish and corals).

I'd put a big fan near the tank and try to circulate the air in the house if you can. Might help some.

As others have said, you know you got a lot of help around here if/when you need it Herbie. Don't be shy, just speak up and we'll gladly pitch in.

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I put the carbon back online,but I turned down the lights a bit just in case. I did throw insome coralsnow the other day aafter I lost the fish. I took out a few colonies tocut down on pollution.

Herb I'm in east orange NJ. I got a Frag tank that you can hold some of your stuff in I can probably source and pickup another tank somewheres.

Once things are on the mend, let me know please. The stuff you gave me is doing great, so you can certainly take 90% of each item back! As for fish, please let me replace a few for you when you are ready.

I also plan on buying you some sand. You know, to play in :)

The corals you gave me are doing well with the exception of one I lost during the storm. My tank is small but I can definitely cut some off to restart your tank.

Sorry to hear of your losses, the tank was beautiful