• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

here's the stocking plan

thank you. yea all tangs are prone to ich. apparently the chevron is more so and also a lot more expensive. He was my birthday gift from AO. not their fault though it was quite healthy looking when I purchased him. not sure what caused it, I started using a cheaper salt reef crystals. since then did a major water change with tropic marin pro reef. although not a reef tank the mix I think is more of a natural blend for the fish.
could be wrong but I dont think you can go wrong with the best quality salt you can get. At least one of the better ones. I started with a well establish live rock then 50% water from my reef tank and never cycled waited 1 week then started adding those nice fish. perhaps in hindsight I could have started with some damsels or a cheaper fish.

I started ozone in the tank. first reading at 239. hooked it up last night. This morning its at 260. niger trigger not cured, got the second phase and looks bad.
I wanted to see if ozone will remove the ich, if it doesnt I will empty the tank,wait 6 weeks and try again.

DSC_1568.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss, I know how upsetting it can be to lose fish especially in a new system. I don't think the brand of salt had anything to do with the outbreak of ich. IMO it was the rate at which you stocked the tank. Looking back through this thread it looks like you added 5 fish in about 2 weeks to a tank that had only been setup less than a month. I'm pretty sure if you tested the water when the ich appeared you would have tested high for nitrites and ammonia. Which would be more likely to cause a sensitive fish like the tang to stress to such a level that it would have an outbreak of ich.
Wait atleast 30 days before adding anymore fish to the display. Then I would wait atleast 2-3 weeks between additions of new fish to allow the bacteria cultures to catch up to the new bio load.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would lower the temperature in the tank and maybe even the salinity. That should help the fish fight off the ich naturally. I've never known ozone to help cure ich (though there are reports of UV helping). Feed garlic heavily in foods for the next week or so. While not a cure all it will also boost their immune system to help the fish fight off ich.

If you don't have any inverts then drop the salinity down to 9 or 10 and hold it there. I found that a drop of about 3 per day from 21(SG of fishstore) to 09 was not stessful on the fish that I noticed. Then hold it there for about 4 weeks then bring it back up at the same pace. I tried to match the PH with buffer too for what it is worth. It should help the fish too short term....longer term it is hard on them so after the treatment get it back up.

reeferwanabe said:
lowered the salinity but the temp. I have no chiller and don't want one so I floated some ice but that will fluctuate

LOL i use the same way to lower the temp. A bunch of icecubes or icebags lol ;D

Remember to be patient it will take a while to make sure you have cleared it up. I would suggest at least 4 weeks before you start to increase the salinity. Glad it is working well.