• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hermit Crabs and how they catch and sell them

I hate seeing stuff like this. We bought 2 last year at the shore for my daughters. The only good news is, I have them in a pretty good environment and they are still alive after a year. Most of the time I hear from kids how they died within a few weeks (like the story says unfortunately).

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I cannot believe they willfully crack the shells t get them in painted ones.
I always thought they just painted the shells while the crab was still in it. Still not a good option.

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
I cannot believe they willfully crack the shells t get them in painted ones.
I always thought they just painted the shells while the crab was still in it. Still not a good option.
I know I was shocked at that. I had no idea

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I hate seeing stuff like this. We bought 2 last year at the shore for my daughters. The only good news is, I have them in a pretty good environment and they are still alive after a year. Most of the time I hear from kids how they died within a few weeks (like the story says unfortunately).

I had them as a kid and of course they died. Bough them for my kids and did everything right and still died. So I gave up discourage anyone from buying these.

UGHHHHH....that sucks that they crush the shells to get them out - but it does make sense. What a terrible way to make money.