• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hermit crabs rearing young

So last night around 1:30am I caught one of my smaller hermits throwing eggs or larvae they were crazy tiny. And is from a red leg hermit crab.
After the amazement I turned off the pumps for about 10 20min hoping I didn't kill them all and that they eventually settle into the cheato or wherever.
I think I'm covered on food but also I am unsure how long it takes to raise baby hermit crabs or where I can get micro shells I have some fresh water snails in a few other tanks I no I can find a couple small shells but not sure if those will work out I think their smallest shells are too thin
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

congrats on being a parent Ha ha.

I believe hermits initially would require a food source that is too small for your tank to sustain.

But if you are serious about trying to save them - you could attempt to remove the fry via a Vossen Fry Catcher. Move them to a separate tank with a small aerator and try to provide the food they need to survive. I really haven't a clue about raising hermit crab fry. I assume they are really tiny and would either consume phytoplankton or very small zooplankton (rotifers?).

Thanks! Yeah food wise it's all micro cultures and plankton I don't no how I would catch them I could possibly do a large water change . But later today I am going to hunt for nano seashells that's going to be the hardest part of the puzzle I feel because when they are out of a larval stage they need teeny tiny shells

I'm sorta set on the food I have different cultures along with micro algea micro crustaceans and a few other things naturally in that tank and as for food I have a few blends of basicly coral foods one heavy on the protien and one heavy one the plants and vitiams I made
Unfortunately I am not sure how many teeny tiny shells I am gona be able to find and if I were able to just get them that would be easier. Any one know where to get them possibly.