• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hidden Reef oh no!!

Pretty big, pretty clean.

but the tanks were messy with cynao that was disolving into the water column and the one big reason i will not be going back there is what they were selling in one of their tanks. Probably the most irresponsible thing i have seen sold ever in my reefing.

Look at this picture and if this is not a soon to be invasive species i dont know what is.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Well, on the flip side, it gets even a few of them out of the ocean, they don't need to eat for like 6 months at a time, and they could be potential food for some harlequins.

:)

Subliminal

NJRC Member
You gotta admit, they're pretty frickin' cool looking.

A pred tank with some live rock and one of those monsters would be cool.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How different is it from buying an Oscar and feeding it gold fish? Or pods and feeding a mandrin? There is always something looking to eat something.

My point of it, is that this is an animal that is decimating the GBR day after day, you think a person who runs a store would not promote this as a pet.

Its only known diet is coral poylps. We propagate corals but i dont think it even comes near the total number of goldfish that are aquacultured.

All you can feed it is SPS.

Will even echoed it with him seeing it on suppliers list.

They get like 2 feet across or soemthing close to that. Thats alot of SPS frags.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Maybe if they get popular enough we can bare the reefs of them. If the "farmers" can make money pulling them from the ocean we may have an answer to the plague. This is one case where that would actually be a good thing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sadly, they'd end up in FOWLRs and slowly starve to death. But how is that different from what they're doing when they pull them off of the reef and "dispose" (AKA kill) of them?

I think the difference is that we dont have a problem with them.

They eat what were are trying to propogate so that we can ensure animals like this dont eat all of the corals.

Id rather see them dry out on a dock then sit in someones tank.

This one was a baby maybe 6 inches across its not like their taking the ones that are sexual mature.

I dont wanna start a arguement i just personally think it irresponsible.

As long as they're letting people know that they are not "reef safe" and missinforming their customers then I don't see a problem selling them.

If they were selling them to reef tank owners and telling them that they are cool to put in their tanks than that's a different story.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReeferNets said:
any reply yet from the owner of hidden reef?

I'm confused. Who was going to be contacting THR? I thought I read you were planning on calling them to find the answer to your question! :)