• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

High Magnesium

Good evening,

I always seem to have high magnesium with coral pro sea salt at 35ppt. I'm dosing nothing but vinegar. My magnesium is roughly 1650 all other numbers are level. Any ideas?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't be too worried about magnesium at that level. Though a little high I don't think it can really hurt anything. Have you tried testing your freshly made water to see what the magnesium is? @redfishbluefish or @downbeach may be able to help out a bit more with the chemistry side than me.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mines been over 2k for a month or so, it will piss off inverts if it goes really high, but 1600-1700 shouldn't be any issue.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a couple questions.....FYI, the advertised level of Mag in Red Sea Coral Pro salt at 35 PPT is 1350 to 1430 mg/l.

1. What are you using to measure salinity....refractometer, swing arm hydrometer, floating hydrometer, etc?

2. What test kit are you using to measure magnesium?

I'm using Red Sea kit, I also use a calibrated before every use Red Sea refractometer.

What are you using to calibrate your refractometer? If plain RO/DI or distilled water, it may be off. I would use a seawater standard solution like this. The Red Sea Pro Mg kit can be a little troublesome to use, especially having to mix each of the 5 drops of the reagent A for 15 seconds between each drop and keep track of all five drops. Here is a demo.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What are you using to calibrate your refractometer? If plain RO/DI or distilled water, it may be off. I would use a seawater standard solution like this. The Red Sea Pro Mg kit can be a little troublesome to use, especially having to mix each of the 5 drops of the reagent A for 15 seconds between each drop and keep track of all five drops. Here is a demo.

I finally put the numbers 1-5 on the back of the instructions and I put reagent A on the number so I don't lose count of what drop I am on when I am counting to 15. I also hate that it is only 2 ml of water I always feel like I am a little off on the amount.

I use a calibration solution, cant recall what brand at the moment. I also do the counting trick, any usually test twice. I've been battling with this for about a year now, I may shift to salifert.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i found the red sea mag kit in general to be off, i think it was like 100-200ppm off from my salifert, and verified my salifert was reading correctly with a couple fresh batches of salt. Also, 1800mg is not a big deal, but i'm pretty sure it's your test kit. I just use IO salt as i do dose my reef tank. If you don't dose and use water changes to keep your parameters, that will probably not work but the reef crystals may.