• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

High nitrate reading

I am getting a result of 80-90 on a salifert nitrate kit. I have recently done a 10% water change. My corals are not looking happy. Any ideas on lowering the nitrates would be greatly appreciated.

Water change. The larger % you change the bigger chunk of nitrates will be removed.

Also check to see if anything has gone mia recently.

Now that you mention it I might be missing one of my cucumbers. Is that what causes nitrates? I have been cutting back the fish feedings and coral supplements.

Find that cuc and if its dead get it out asap. Also check for anything else that might be dead,a big snail can foul up water fast. Water changes will be best bet until you figure it out if not the cuc . If its the cuc you should be ok with water changes . I would also run my skimmer very wet and consider that part of the water change .

what corals are in there? what fish do you have in there and what size tank?

I would double the size of your water changes or double the frequency by which you are doing 10%.

Just wondering what happen after the changes, was it the cuc that died? I understand they can wipe a tank in a day with their defensive toxins if stressed into it.