• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

High tech low speed

I have noticed a trend of too many folks with high tech tanks that are low speed ( all the most latest high tech equipment but tank ain’t looking that great) because you buy the best and latest doesn’t mean your tank will reflect that. A reef tank only need four fundamental things light, water movement, the right chemistry and patients. I have seen a number of tanks that have all the latest but tank is struggling,crash or just looks like a swamp. For good husbandry you need to understand your tank and it’s basic needs. Equipment won’t make your tank better if you don’t know what your doing. So all you guys struggling pick up a book read up just don’t go out there to buy stuff and not understand the needs of your aquariums. You save more money with knowledge. Also you have to know what your adding to tank and what your coral needs to survive optimal conditions. It’s a science I not just buy equipment and things thrive. Then again keep up the bad work when you sell we who can will alway buy [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
i agree, knowing the basics of your tank will help the equipment become more efficient but in certain cases (like ex. going fully automated) equipment can help things become more manageable

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A reef tank only need four fundamental things light, water movement, the right chemistry and patients.[emoji6]

Reef tanks only need patients if they have surgeonfish. :)

But agreed. When I started it was all about machines and testing. Now its about; are my lights set well (aka 'lets try this for a few days'), did I do a small water change (every week or two), is my flow still optimal (finger in front of return test), and is the tank OK (how do the corals look).
Since I took the lesser approach, my tanks are doing much, much better.