• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

History in the Making

Hi All,
Please join me and follow along, As my daughter(Shannon),and researchers, Scientist from Rutgers University COOL lab. Attempt to set History by sailing a AUV across the Atlantic Ocean. http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/atlantic/about_students.html
Some of you might of had the opportunity to meet Shannon and Dakota back in February during the meeting at Phyl and Johns. Shannon,Dakota,& Emily are all gradates of the MATES Academy Ocean County Vocational School. They all share a passion for the conservation of the environment both above and below the seas. Last year the mission fell just 200 miles short when RU17 developed a leak and lost power just off the coast of Spain. Thanks Dave
http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/

Nice Dave, tell her Good luck from me.. i thought that was your daughter you were telling me about when i saw them re-trying the experiment.

http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/atlantic/
The Scarlet Knight crossed the shelf break earlier today, putting us in deepwater where the challenges switch. The shallower shelf water has a lot of traffic we have to try to steer around, including fishing vessels, deployed fishing gear, and shipping activities. Deepwater challenges are interpreting and navigating the eddy field. Now that we are in deepwater, we’ll start increasing the depth of our dives, first to 140 m, and then to 180 m to take advantage of the extra flight time we get when the bottom is thousands of meters away.

From this location, we’ll head straight south to start. That should put us in the eddy barely visible in the Sea Surface Temperature (SST) map below. The track we have already covered is shown in white. The path we are planning to follow is shown in yellow. Click on the figure for an enlargement. The western side of the eddy is visible from the cold water that is being pulled off the shelf and is heading offshore along the western side of the eddy. We’ll follow this eddy around and exit somewhere on the southeast side. From there we’ll try to catch one of the wavelike meanders and head downstream.

daveh285 said:
Hi All,
Please join me and follow along, As my daughter(Shannon),and researchers, Scientist from Rutgers University COOL lab. Attempt to set History by sailing a AUV across the Atlantic Ocean. http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/atlantic/about_students.html
Some of you might of had the opportunity to meet Shannon and Dakota back in February during the meeting at Phyl and Johns. Shannon,Dakota,& Emily are all gradates of the MATES Academy Ocean County Vocational School. They all share a passion for the conservation of the environment both above and below the seas. Last year the mission fell just 200 miles short when RU17 developed a leak and lost power just off the coast of Spain. Thanks Dave
http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/

I am sorry Dave but I had to do it......What is this word???? ;D

Yea, they cant steer it, it just glides up and down. It sucks water in the nose to dive, pushes it out to surface. They are dependant on thermal currents and the gulf stream. When it does the circle thing its caught in a Eddy. They surface or dive during the eddy to change direction. I was amazed at how many eddy's are actually out in the ocean,small ones,and some miles across. It samples and test the water as its going and sends the information back to Rutgers. Its a big plus for saving our Oceans and Reefs.

THEY ARE IN THE STREAM :eek: They are in the gulf stream already, last time it took 3 weeks just to get into the gulf stream, They are cruising right along. Hopefully luck will stay on there side. http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/atlantic/

gradates of the MATES Academy Ocean County Vocational School.

[/quote]

I am sorry Dave but I had to do it......What is this word???? ;D
[/quote]

grade 8's, great dates, :eek: ??? ::) Oh it must be a typo, Graduate 1 : a holder of an academic degree or diploma ;D ;D

Almost halfway! ;)

Rutgers research and data was a Major factor in locating the remains of Air France Flight 447 off Rio DE Janeiro

LATEST NEWS
Big Ocean, Little Glider:
As The Scarlet Knight nears the 50% percent point the voyage only seems to be getting increasingly difficult. Biofouling is slowly taking its toll on Scarlet’s speed. We are not overly concerned yet but it has definitely caught our attention and we are going to work hard to try and find some sort of solution. Maybe it’s by staying deeper and trying to avoid the upper portions of the water column, which have more light. Or maybe we need to find ourselves some colder water that is less desirable for biology.

In the last update, I spoke about how Scarlet was fighting her way through a cold core eddy. Well things got a little dicey and we started betting on whether or not we would go for another loop in the eddy or if Scarlet could fight her way out. Well Scarlet once again surprised us all and came out on top. Her never ending tenacity speed and agility allowed her to fight her way through the cold core eddy by flying perpendicular to the current. Our roadmap of the ocean started looking a bit smoother as there was a warm core eddy to the north that we wanted to take advantage of. We were able to hit some of those currents and start moving northeast and it looked as if we were all going to have an easy weekend.

As the weekend was about to begin Scarlet called in at her normal evening surfacing and we noticed some northwest current vectors instead of northeast. Neither our altimetry nor SST imagery provided us with any clues of as to why Scarlet was experiencing northwest currents. Our best guess is that there is a smaller scale feature in the flow that is not being detected by the sensors. So what do we do? We have Scarlet do the same thing she did to get out of the cold core eddy, fly perpendicular to the currents until we are back in favorable conditions.

Unfortunately, the road less traveled is never easy and straightforward. This just served as another reminder that navigating this big blue watery road is a never-ending battle. Just as we thought things would get easy we found ourselves on a dirt road filled with potholes and very poor roadmaps to help guide us. However, one thing that has remained consistent is Scarlet’s never ending will to succeed! I for one am proud to be apart of this voyage and continue to wish her the best as we all sit wait and hope that we can help her in whatever ways we can. In about 180km we are again going to be faced with tough navigating. The currents split and we have to take the path to the right, which will take us east nearly to Flores. If we miss and go left… well lets not talk about that option!

- Tina Haskins (06/22/09)