• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HOB skimmers?? Thoughts

I'm rehabbing a 45 gallon tank and plan on turning it into a reef tank. Any one have any experience with HOB skimmers...Aqua C ?? My other alternative is to use a sump...all that fits underneath is a 15 gallon tall. Are the Aqua C's any good. any advice would be appreciated. It would certainly be easier if I could use a HOB?

hob skimmers are garbage, i bought a precision marine one for almost $200 and it fluctuated way too much, the maxijet would clog up when i fed the fish and whn the water level dropped the smallest bit it affected the skimmer. i loved the tank, a 46 bow but i just wish i had drilled it to a sump. save your money and your headache.

Ligershark said:
hob skimmers are garbage, i bought a precision marine one for almost $200 and it fluctuated way too much, the maxijet would clog up when i fed the fish and whn the water level dropped the smallest bit it affected the skimmer. i loved the tank, a 46 bow but i just wish i had drilled it to a sump. save your money and your headache.

Saying all HOB skimmers are garbage is incorrect. I have own good and bad skimmers. I currently use the CPR BAKPAK on my 75 and it works like a champ. It consistently pulls out nasty green gunk and i would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a small HOB skimmer. I also owned a cheap seaclone and that one i wouldn't recommend. The CPR or the AquaC remora i would definately recommend. Just my opinion

Harry

I have a seaclone now and its on a 10 gallon but its recommended for a 50. I think thats why mine works so well. My seaclone pulls out some hefty gunk.

But i do agree they are not all garbage and most of these skimmers like aqua c and cpr can be run in the sump or HOB.

I loved my aqua c remora. Thats why i bought a nano remora.

Though they are billed as HOB, they are really built for small sumps. If you have room for a sump below, I would recommend an Aquamedic Turboflotor. Not the 1000. The turboflotor was one of the first needlewheels and it would work great on a 45, but I would hang it off the back of a sump, or run it inside the sump. I had two of them that were absolute workhorses, and only sold them since I had consolidated a bunch of smaller systems.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I'm a huge fan of air driven (wood airstones) HOB skimmers,I have one still running on my 75 that I bought about 20 years ago and it works great.
It was made by RT.24 aquariums systems (anyone remember the store?)
You can still buy these from other manufacturers, and I'm considering having one built for my 150.
Just my opinion.

I have an Aqua C on my 55 and it works great. Aqua C's do seem to vary from unit to unit though, and you can find many posting on RC that they don't like them.

Coralife Skimmers can be tricky to dial in and you can get an occasional overflow. I've used both the CSS125 and the HOB version of the Turbofloater and they skim well. But they look awkward and ugly hanging on a tank.

The nice thing about a sump is it is out of sight. Also you can hang on the outside of the sump if you have some extra room on the side. That is how my CSS125 is running.

If money is no object, I hear the Deltec HOB's are fantastic, but I have never owned one.