• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hobby Drives me Crazy

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Came home last night to a loud alarm. Figured out my battery backup was alarming so unplugged equipment and will see what's wrong later today.

Right. I always think of my tank as being so stable, until I go away and realize how many little knobs and dials and alarms etc etc I do daily without really thinking about it

Adam L

NJRC Member
I too jinxed myself thinking about how stable things have been. Checked my live feed on my tank at 10am yesterday. I’m down at the jersey shore. Massive bubbles out of returns. Knew auto top off wasnt working. 1.5 hours home. Power cord to ato slipped out of power strip.

Last edited:
I too jinxed myself thinking about how stable things have been. Checked my live feed on may tank at 10am yesterday. I’m down at the jersey shore. Massive bubbles out of returns. Knew auto top off wasnt working. 1.5 hours home. Power cord to ato slipped out of power strip.
My auto top off lol
That’s the story of my life lol

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So discovered the power backup had the inkbird plugged in besides return and power head. Inkbird plugged else where now. Also found out power backup was plugged in but not on, resolved. Inkbird kept alarming took me awhile, sad to admit, realized the sensor suction cup gave way and it was sticking out of tank, fixed with magnets for now. Tank temp 74/75 usually keep it at 79. Lost a torch coral as well among others I mentioned in different thread.

So discovered the power backup had the inkbird plugged in besides return and power head. Inkbird plugged else where now. Also found out power backup was plugged in but not on, resolved. Inkbird kept alarming took me awhile, sad to admit, realized the sensor suction cup gave way and it was sticking out of tank, fixed with magnets for now. Tank temp 74/75 usually keep it at 79. Lost a torch coral as well among others I mentioned in different thread.
Have you ever thought about taking a break,? just until kids get older and take care of themselves.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Don't plug your heater into the UPS. It will burn out battery. For all the issues you have had I bet 99% of them could have been avoided if you had an apex. Just saying.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Don't plug your heater into the UPS. It will burn out battery. For all the issues you have had I bet 99% of them could have been avoided if you had an apex. Just saying.
I didn't realize it was plugged into it, missed when rearranging plugs during prior power outage. It's plugged into a power strip with breaker. But yeah an Apex might of helped but this was just me being stupid. I tried to make things easier but screws up big time.

So discovered the power backup had the inkbird plugged in besides return and power head. Inkbird plugged else were now. Also found out power backup was plugged in but not on, resolved. Inkbird kept alarming took me awhile, sad to admit, realized the sensor suction cup gave way and it was sticking out of tank, fixed with magnets for now. Tank temp 74/75 usually keep it at 79. Lost a torch coral as well among others I mentioned in different thread.
I hope your torch was not one of those very $$$ ones

Adam L

NJRC Member
I did find a dead cardinal. Not sure it was related but I’m sure a salinity was up. I didn’t check it. All corals looked okay. I usually keep it at 1.025 for wiggle room.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Have any of you regretted buying a fish and than be like haaaa I shouldn’t have bought this one!!
Yes my sailfin tang. He bullied 2 yellow tangs to death last year and this year I tried an orange shoulder tang and PBT a few months ago and he bullied them as well. Any other fish I add is fine just not tangs.

Does he make your tank white? Or it’s just this one that doesn’t stop lol
Yes my sailfin tang. He bullied 2 yellow tangs to death last year and this year I tried an orange shoulder tang and PBT a few months ago and he bullied them as well. Any other fish I add is fine just not tangs.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So the temp would not go over 76; I even increased stand alone heater to 85. Then realized the heater connected to the Inkbird was not on. I had plugged it into the cooling plug and not heating plug. No idea why I did this but explains a lot over the past year. Now its plugged into heater plug both heaters are set to 80 and Inkbird is set to 79.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The tank temp dropped 2 degrees. I increased iInkbird to 80 and heaters to 82. Temp won't go over 78. I believe the heaters are 200w, stand alone one in sump and DT hooked to Inkbird. Are my heaters under sized since only one is actually on?

eholceker

NJRC Member
The tank temp dropped 2 degrees. I increased iInkbird to 80 and heaters to 82. Temp won't go over 78. I believe the heaters are 200w, stand alone one in sump and DT hooked to Inkbird. Are my heaters under sized since only one us actually on?

Inkbirds are not exactly great. Do yourself a favor and just get an apex.