• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Holding large rocks together?

Heya all,

Just wanted to know some inventive ways you guys ahve stuck rocks together. I want to build a hollow mountain or a bridge maybe from some larger rocks. I believe foam insulation in a can is sometimes used? I would like to drill holes in the rocks and use PVC pegs maybe to hold the rocks together this way I can disassemble it if I ever need to.

Thanks for your imput.

Edward771 said:
Marc from Marco Rocks did a great demo on aqua scaping at MACNA
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=49

Cool link thanks..

Anyone have a lead on PVC "pegs" I envision a 3/8" rod made from PVC that can be cut into whatever lengths that are needed. Visited the the big box stores, home depot etc etc did not find anything usable. Only the vinyl bolts and they were not ideal at over $1 each and most likly not long enough.

Well found driveway marker posts, made from sold fiberglass rod 5/16th x 4ft for $1.98 at home depot. These things are strong and cheap!

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I also used the nylon threaded rods from Marco Rocks and this worked but only when I used that green and white aquarium epoxy to fill in the gaps between the rocks - then it worked just fine. HTH.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, from my limited experience and tons of research, drilling and rodding, coupled with some epoxy (Aqua Mend works great, even under water) is the way to go.

The driveway markers are a good / cheap option and easily obtained as you have found. They are a bit more flexible than thicker acrylic rods or nylon threaded rods, which are a bit stronger... but can still get the job done. The nylon threaded rods or screws tend to give a better grip in the drilled holes, but are more expensive. Also, I highly suggest using a mask when cutting the fiberglass driveway markers. Those fibers are definitely not something you want to inhale into your lungs! :-X

When building your structure, I'd suggest using a minimum of 2 pegs or rods for each set of pieces you connect. If you use just one, it may be strong enough but it won't prevent the top rock from spinning freely. Having two rods will lock it into position as well as keep it from falling off.

You might also consider placing egg-crate (fluorescent lighting louvers - found in lighting section of HD or Lowes) under the bottom rocks before you place them in the tank. This will help stabilize your bottom rocks from sliding around, eliminate the possibility of a burrower from undermining your structure, and also help cushion/protect your bottom glass panel should anything happen to topple to the bottom of the tank. It's usually best to remove all the sandbed, place the egg-crate under where your rock bases will go (I just cut mine to fit the entire bottom of the tank - minus a 2" border around the outside), put the bases on them and build your structure until it's the way you want it, and then go back and replace your sandbed to cover the egg-crate so it's not visible. I have done this and am very happy I did. As long as you have an inch or more of cover over the rest of the egg-crate, it won't prevent good worms and such from doing their thing.

Another tip that might be obvious but worth mentioning... try to use larger pieces on the bottom and smaller as you go up higher. That way, the structure isn't top-heavy which could make it topple over.

Hope that helps.