• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Homeowners Insurance and Your Tank

I'm not sure whether or not this is a dumb question but i'll ask anyway. I was just thinking that with all the money invested into your tank, will homeowners insurance cover it for damages?

years ago I was running my diatom filter and got lazy. left the hoses in the tank and they slowly worked their way to the floor draining the whole tank. Ins. paid for new carpet. but tank inhabatants NO.

My father recently had a fire and his tank and equipment were covered, but pets were not. All tank life was considered pets just like his dog and birds. I am not sure about all policies, but some have that fine print.

home owners insurance have what they call ' riders' that you can add things ( coverage) to your home owners policy---like diamonds, crystal, anything that is expensive and you have receipts or have had that item appraised
i have a rider on my home owners policy for all the photography equipment i own---every company will be different and so will the additional cost for those items
call your insurance company and ask---
good luck
steve