• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Houston, we have a problem. . .

We have red bugs. We found them tonight when I pulled out our pearlberry b/c it had a suspicious looking whiteish tip. . . and with my new glasses, I noticed tiny pinpoints of red on the colony.
We're removed it, but I'm very concerned that it may have infected the rest of the tank. Any suggestions? We know interceptor is the most recommended treatment, but we (1) don't have any, and (2) have 5 shrimp, lots of hermits and snails in the 20g.
Thanks guys.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only natural predator of red bugs that I know of are dragon faced pipefish. But knowing how heavily your tanks are stocked that may not be a good idea.

You could always remove the acros to a hospital tank for treatment. Would be easier than trying to remove your inverts.

We bought a new tank for the inhabitants of the 20g today, the marineland 45g cube. It arrives on Tuesday, so that at least is a good thing.

I'm thinking the plan will be to set up the new tank on wed evening, removing everything from the 20G but the corals, and treat them in the 20g tank with interceptor once all the live rock, fish, sand and inverts are out and in their new home.

Any idea how long we need to treat for? I wouldn't want to do this, and then find out I should have been treating the rock as well.

could be worse - you could just have dying SPS but no red bugs like me. ::)

SPS and hawkeye - not perfect together. lol!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Dr. Jim is out of it right now so if anyone has any extra interceptor please drop me a line. We are only treating like 20g of water so 1 pill would be enough for plenty of treatments.

I think I may know someone who has some as well. If need be. It sucks but fairly easy to treat compared to a lot of other pest.