• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

how big of a sump will i need for a 210gal

whatever you can squeeze into your stand... or basement :p

Seriously though I believe 2-10% of water volume is a number I hear for refugium size.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have a 100g stock tank as a sump. We can keep 50g of water in it allowing for 50g of "overflow" out of the auxilliary tanks. We also have a 55g fuge. If we had to do this under the stand rather than in the basement it would be the biggest tank that would fit through the opening in the stand.

thanks for the info ...cause i seen mixed sizes out there from 30 gallons to 55 gallons
i thought of going with a 40breeder i guess i should go bigger...no way i would be able to get
a 100 gallon tank in my stand ..whats the smallest ... i went to the link and got this
Using the following input parameters
Tank Length = 72 inches
Tank Width = 24 inches
Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches

Sump volume is calculated as
Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 15 Gallons is this right ?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That would be th amount needed to accomodate overflow from above which would drain down in the event of a power down. In addition to that you'll need running volume. So a 55g tank would hold 40g of water in your sump while it is running with 15g in the pipes.

ok so i need a 55 or bigger .....ok how could i fit that under the stand ...
am planing to run 3 drains into sump and 1 into skimmer ...and i will feed the returns over the top
does that so ok ?
or should i just run two drains and 2 returns..
thanks for the input

harryk said:
I have an oceanic 215 and i'm using a 75 gallon sump
Harry
you must have the 75g sump behind the tank or in another room correct? i would love to use a 75g under my 210g tank but there is no way it fits .

widebody said:
ok so i need a 55 or bigger .....ok how could i fit that under the stand ...
am planing to run 3 drains into sump and 1 into skimmer ...and i will feed the returns over the top
does that so ok ?
or should i just run two drains and 2 returns..
thanks for the input

There is a couple of ways to do it depending on how your stand is built and the size of the sump. For example, a long but skinny sump could have a door cut into the side of the stand to install the sump.
Another way is to temporarily brace and cut out the front center brace to insert the sump. The reinstall the center brace on the stand.
Heck, if the tank isn't set up yet you might even be able to drop the stand right over the sump, like you would a clothing box during the holidays.

Side- I thought the RR tanks were designed in pairs of Drain and return holes?

they are but thats how it was set up when i got the tank ....he ran 3 drains and one into the skimmer
and than he ran the returns over the top of tank with pvd plumping which he gave me ...
as far as the sump ...i just scrap my stand and building a new one around it....i have a 55gal tank was thinking
of using ....but its kinda of .......tall ....looking around
i have 3 tanks i need to get rid of cause none fit my plans

widebody said:
they are but thats how it was set up when i got the tank ....he ran 3 drains and one into the skimmer
and than he ran the returns over the top of tank with pvd plumping which he gave me ...
as far as the sump ...i just scrap my stand and building a new one around it....i have a 55gal tank was thinking
of using ....but its kinda of .......tall ....looking around
i have 3 tanks i need to get rid of cause none fit my plans
Tall can be good if you can still get your arms inside once the sump is in the stand. It allows for more water in the sump and/or extra room in case of the main tank drains more than planned.

pistolpete said:
harryk said:
I have an oceanic 215 and i'm using a 75 gallon sump
Harry
you must have the 75g sump behind the tank or in another room correct? i would love to use a 75g under my 210g tank but there is no way it fits .

Nope, my sump is under my tank.

Harry

hey i started all over and going with a 55 gallon sump ...
going to make my stand higher than normal ...so i will have all the space
under tank...i have a skimmer thats going to sit outside of tank
its a mtc has-1000...i like to look up at my tank while viewing ...
not bend over when looking for stuff in the tank ..well thats
my 2 cents