• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How can one manage a Deep Sand bed? What new “critters” should be added?

Hello fellow members of New Jersey Reefers Club,

It been over 2 years since I return into the aquarium hobby, but I was mostly into the Freshwater aspect. So when I jump into saltwater I decided to go big or nothing. I have 125 gallon Display Tank with 140 lbs. Live Rock, as well as 4” Deep Sand Bed. There a 75 gallon sump/refugium with addition of 30 lbs. of Live Rock as well. Alongside the sump I have a Fluval FX6 (which is clean every two weeks), reactor that house carbon and GFO.

I recently did some maintenance within the DT and move the sand around. I noticed as I shift the sand around that I didn’t have much critters within, well at least from where I can see from the glass panel. It been three days and the Deep Sand bed has develop air pockets which is escaping into the column and does tell me my sand bed is alive and well.

So my question here: What more can I do to aerial the Deep Sand? OR What critter should added into the display tank?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The purpose of a deep sand bed is to have an upper aerobic area and a lower anaerobic. This way you can now have both types of bacteria needed to metabolize detritus. Don't disturb the deep part of the sand bed. You can lightly "vacuum" the very top to remove detritus, but don't mix it up.

The purpose of a deep sand bed is to have an upper aerobic area and a lower anaerobic. This way you can now have both types of bacteria needed to metabolize detritus. Don't disturb the deep part of the sand bed. You can lightly "vacuum" the very top to remove detritus, but don't mix it up.
Too much movement = to no good. Got it.
Although I do have some large hermit crabs who like to dig into the sand a lot. I lightly vacuum section by section when it comes to cleaning the sand up. So as of now I am okay with my sand bed the way it is?

Here is my experience. I have about a 5" DSB in my refugium. All I do to maintain it is NOTHING. It has been up for just shy of 2 years and I have not done anything to it purposely. I do also have Caulerpa growing in the refugium and some of it roots in the sand, so when i harvest some of the top 1/2" or so in a few places here and there get disturbed but thats it. The refugium is a 65G tank and also has a few pieces of rock and some various snails and worms that I'm sure stir the top a bit.

As for my DT I have anywhere from 3"-4" depending on the flow. What I do to maintain that is again, NOTHING. In the almost 2 years of the DT I have yet to vacuum or stir the bed. I have animals that do it for me. Between the various snails, tiger conch, 2 serpent stars, goby, and wrasse that sleeps in the sand it stays well stirred.

As far as the aerating the deep sand bed, that will defeat the purpose of having it.

Here is my experience. I have about a 5" DSB in my refugium. All I do to maintain it is NOTHING. It has been up for just shy of 2 years and I have not done anything to it purposely. I do also have Caulerpa growing in the refugium and some of it roots in the sand, so when i harvest some of the top 1/2" or so in a few places here and there get disturbed but thats it. The refugium is a 65G tank and also has a few pieces of rock and some various snails and worms that I'm sure stir the top a bit.

As for my DT I have anywhere from 3"-4" depending on the flow. What I do to maintain that is again, NOTHING. In the almost 2 years of the DT I have yet to vacuum or stir the bed. I have animals that do it for me. Between the various snails, tiger conch, 2 serpent stars, goby, and wrasse that sleeps in the sand it stays well stirred.

As far as the aerating the deep sand bed, that will defeat the purpose of having it.
What are good critters to have in deep sand bed by any chances?
I do have snails and hermit crabs. I feel like it is missing more important.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Here is my 2 cents. My opinion only, and this is the beauty of our hobby. Everyone has an opinion.

No deep sand bed in the display tank. Maybe just enough to cover the bottom. I personally prefer a bare bottom tank for cleanliness. The refuge is just fine. I had 5" in the refuge section of the sump. I would put Nassarius snails in your sump and DT, as well as some of the critters mentioned above. Here is a link to reefcleaner.org packages.

Cleaner Packages - Reef Cleaners

Good luck

rich

Thank guys. This was a great help for me. Now it time to place a nice big order lol. Once again thanks for your input and guidance.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk