• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How do you water change?

image.jpg

My ro/di is in my bathroom. Have no plans to plumb this to my tank. so my mixing container is on a dolly.
Ro/di fills a 7 gallon brewers bucket with a float valve and a cobalt ext pump fills the drum or a jug to fill my ato.
In side the drum is a hydor nano and a small heater. Let sit for 24 hours till reaches tank temp then do the manual water change, or attach my auto aqua aws without a heater or pump.

I have to prepare my water from an outside attachment. I connect two (2) RODI units to the faucet and start in the morning, I fill up a 35 Brute trash container on dollies. As it is filling, I first refill another 35 gallon Brute trash container on dollies I mix salt water in. Then I mix my salt water in that 2nd container. I then fill all my gallon, 2.5 gallon, and 5 gallon water jugs from the freshwater container as the day proceeds while the saltwater clarifies and gets adjusted. I then change saltwater in my tank using old saltwater in 5 gallon jugs (if I have it) and then fill up all my empty 5 gallon salt jugs from the salt water container. Next I top off the salt water container from the fresh water container as needed from the new RODI barrel and roll it back into the garage to make more saltwater. When the fresh water is done. I disconnect the RODI unit. In the winter, on warm days like yesterday, I prepared enough water for a few months, and afterwards turn off the water to the faucet to winterize. I will also buy premade salt water from Ultimate Corals or ACC if it is too cold (or too lazy) to make it or in an emergency. I use a 5 gallon jug for my Auto top off source, and I generally bring up a gallon at a time to replenish it. I keep around a dozen 5 gallon jugs of prepared water and mark them with my name and fresh or salt for when I go to stores to get water. ACC and Major League Exotic Pets have had the 5 gallon jugs recently. This is a picture as I finished up. I forget whether Lowes or Home Depot had the dollies, but they are great for me. p.s. I bring up the saltwater a day before changing to get it to room temperature before changing.
IMG_3269.JPG

I keep it fairly simple. I have a 90 gallon tank plumbed into my system. I also have a couple of 55 gallon drums that I keep RODI water in. When it’s time to do a change I turn a couple of valves that take the 90 gallon off line. There is a pump that is always running in that tank to aid in circulation of the water. By turning two more valves that tank drains. When it is done draining I simply refill it with a pump from the RODI water Containers. Add salt. Circulate and heat. When up to temp. Turn two valves and it’s back in line with the system. This does an 80 gallon change. On a 400 gallon system. Don’t carry or lift anything. Except approximately 45 cups of salt

I use this to siphon out the old water: https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC/

Hooks right up to my bathroom faucet (with an adapter) and after that, easy-peasy.
I have the aqueon version, and have used. But recently having qt tanks up and running for several months at a time i just use my old dt water to do the qt tanks.

stopped dumping my freshwater systems down the drain. That i have pumped out into my outdoor garden. You would be surprised how well fish poop and nothing else added makes flowers grow lol.

I have the aqueon version, and have used. But recently having qt tanks up and running for several months at a time i just use my old dt water to do the qt tanks.

stopped dumping my freshwater systems down the drain. That i have pumped out into my outdoor garden. You would be surprised how well fish poop and nothing else added makes flowers grow lol.
I water my house plants with water from fresh water tank. It’s amazing. Like miracle grow.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Autoaqua ato/awc. 3 tubs in the basement one for ro/di one for mixed salt water and one to mix the salt water. Turn a valve fills the mixing container, after it is mixed turn another valve and it fills the the awc container. If it isn’t easy it doesn’t get done. I change about 2-3 gallons a day on a 150 gallon tank. I had to get creative with a power supply and relays to use the tunze pumps with the autoaqua the pumps that come with it are weak.

Attachments

• 72266964-8853-4E78-A5AD-A7278A28BBEB.jpeg
    72266964-8853-4E78-A5AD-A7278A28BBEB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was using apex DOS to do 1 gallon a day water change daily at night. Then I would do a 15 gallon every other Sunday on demand by pressing a button.

radiata

NJRC Member
I've programmed my Apex to change 5 gallons of water a day. My pre-made SW comes from a 120 I use for water storage. Hardest part is making 50 gallons of SW every week or two to keep a decent water level in the 120. I make the SW in a separate 50G drum.

Note: I'm not using any dosing pumps to change the water, I use small Mags and a number of water level switches.

Autoaqua ato/awc. 3 tubs in the basement one for ro/di one for mixed salt water and one to mix the salt water. Turn a valve fills the mixing container, after it is mixed turn another valve and it fills the the awc container. If it isn’t easy it doesn’t get done. I change about 2-3 gallons a day on a 150 gallon tank. I had to get creative with a power supply and relays to use the tunze pumps with the autoaqua the pumps that come with it are weak.
I have no idea what’s going on in that picture. But holy. Cow does it look complicated. Sure hope it’s not in a splash zone. Hahaha

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I have no idea what’s going on in that picture. But holy. Cow does it look complicated. Sure hope it’s not in a splash zone. Hahaha
No. It’s in the basement below the tank. Power supply with relays and alarm sensors to monitor water levels and electricity.