• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How does a Calicum Reactor Work?

What I UNDERSTAND is I think that when you have the calcium at the desired level, you start up the calcium reactor and it maintains that level of calcium and alkalinity in your tank. Then, next month, you have to add the media again, which basically maintians the level still. Am I missing something here?

Also, what is a good Calcium Reactor to buy... (For a 40g SPS Reef)? Will be setting up a 40g Breeder as a side project to the 300g.

Thanks,
Steve

A calcium reactor is used to maintain calcium levels through the dissolution of Calcified media within the chamber. This is done by reducing the pH of the water to around 7.4-7.6 via CO2 injection. However, you can't majorly "bump" up the Calcium output of the reactor without increasing CO2 and/or allowing more contact of more media (by adding another chamber or more). Hence, Calcium supplementation via Calcium boosters (Kent Marine Turbo Calcium, ESV Calcium chloride etc) are used to bring up the Calcium to the desired levels. Once you have the Calcium up at the level you want, it's easier for the Calcium reactor to "maintain" that level. Just make sure the Magnesium is also at desireable levels, around 1300-1400

I'd probably hold off on getting a Ca Reactor for the 40. I would wait until you get the 300 gallon tank since you'll need it then depending on the coral bioload you plan on having.