• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How long do you keep refugium lights on?

I think this has been up for debate. From what I have heard having the lights run during your main lights off hours help stabalize pH, but I have heard that this actually doesnt help.

I also heard having the refugium lights on 24/7 is not a good thing as macro needs to rest and having the lights on all the time is a bad thing.

What do you guys do?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I run reverse cycle for 16 hours but PH still swing quite wide between 8.31 and 8.15. Not affecting corals though.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i do a reverse cycle as well, from 8pm to 8am, ph is still going to swing, mine will swing less once i get everything settled in. 24/7 is not good as the algae goes through a phase at night where it uses oxygen as well, i'm not sure the specifics, but i'm sure you could look it up.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We run ours about 12 hours and opposite of the main lights. We ran an experiment (we left the timer switch on the on position permanently by accident) for a few months and did not notice anything too bad. Our fuge was growing out of control and we got some hair algae growing amongst the macro which was a bit annoying.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I run reverse cycle for 18 hours .makes algae scrubber do great things.