• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How many Filter Socks do you use?

How Many Filter Socks do you have,

• Total voters
I just started using filter socks. I was surprised at how fast it clogged. How many filter socks do you have? How often do you change them out? Do you have or prefer mesh socks? Do you have special feeding habits to keep food from going directly to the skimmer?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have 6 felt and 1 micron. Use to switch out weekly and wash them in washing machine. Micron can rinse out in sink easily, just acquired the filter cup and hope that works better.

Turn off my gyre as it has a feed mode. Other pumps stay running. I just got the frozen food defroster and like it. Good slowly dissolved and falls dow so not much blowing around.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I use 100 micron mesh socks. I feel like it's the best balance between amount of filtration and time between replacement. I've got 4 that I rotate in an out, watch staying in for about 3 days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I use 6 mesh 225 regularly. I also have 2 100 micron I use for a polish here and there. I also stuff the socks with poly occasionally.
I don't care for the felt socks. I like how the felt works, they are just annoying to clean.

I have the filter cups but they clog easy because of the limited surface area when filled with poly. When filled with poly and they would start to clog, I would
remove the top layer of poly and repeat every other day.

What I have noticed is that when things are going well and there is no excessive growth of anything (algae, diatoms, dino, Ciano etc) the socks will stay clean for a couple of weeks.
As soon as stuff starts going wrong mine clog every 2-3 days.

I use a single micron sock. It use to clog and overflow frequently. I was thinking about converted to a dual. Now that my tank has been up and running for a while, it does not get clogged very much. Im sticking with the single. I rinse it as often as possible. I replace it with a new one ever few months.

I have 15 200 micron felt socks my sump takes 3 sock I swap them out when all 3 are clogged which take about a week. I put them in a 5 gallon bucket when they are all dirty I put them in the wash with bleach. But recently I tried some pinky filter pads instead of filter socks. I cut one sheet that covers the whole filter sock area. So far I am liking the filter pad.

I have about 6 that I rotate on a weekly basis, but there are times it is more or less frequent. I do it when it requires. As the socks age they clog more easily. I am sure if I washed them in the machine they would be fine but I just replace them entirely.

I only rinse mine in tank water. Never fresh water. I just grab a bucket of tank water, rinse my sock. I believe there is a good colony of bacteria living in the fibers of the sock, that is beneficial. It also does a mini water change every time, which doesn’t hurt.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
When I had my 54 tank running I ran one filter sock. When I started I didn't know they were washable and I was replacing as needed. After about a month I learned they were washable and then I would run one in the sump for a week and then I would swap it with the spare as I clean the dirty one.

During feeding I would turn off my pump, skimmer, and wave makers. They would be off for about 5 min and then turn back on.

I have a big fish only system 265 gallon aquarium and 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock sump... I have a heavy bioload..,I probably have 60 social of 100 micron and change out twice a day... Puffers are dirty..... Lol.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a big fish only system 265 gallon aquarium and 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock sump... I have a heavy bioload..,I probably have 60 social of 100 micron and change out twice a day... Puffers are dirty..... Lol.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a tank thread? I would love to see how your sump works.