• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How many people run a UV

Curious as to your thoughts regarding the need for a UV
IMO anyone who wants to keep a parasite free tank needs an adequate amount of UV.
If you are using a UV respond with volume of your system and the UV you are using. I will start it off.

300 DT approximately 500 gallons total volume - Aquaultraviolet 57 watt

I didn't in the beginning, had some issues then i did. I have a 180 DT with total water volume of about 215. Its a Coral Life Twist 18W. Mine is also on all day long.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I run the Coral Twist 36 watt on a 250 DT with a 75 Fuge. I've run with and without it. I know many will disagree but in my experience it makes a big difference on disease in the tank. It doesn't eliminate it but it certainly eases the severity of any outbreaks.

The higher the flow of the uv the less it kills the slower the flow the more it kills.

That being said.. I run UV on my 80 display 25sump and my holding systems for nems and clowns. Its pros out weigh the cons especially if you consider that of wild caught corals and fish can bring good and bad bacteria into a system. With anemones its worth it it cause that is how most large hosting anemones die is from internal infection from bacteria.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I was always against UV and thought the killing of the beneficial "stuff" outweighed the good. However, we have one now on our system (205 upstairs and 200 downstairs) and I could not live with out it now. It has kept the pests in my frag tank down in my frag tank for us to kill. It also allows me to put fish in the recirc tank and get them used to the system, but still have a barrier on my display (I also have a qt). I think on big systems they are a must.

We have a 25 watt on our system approx. 230 gallons. I believe it keeps a healthy system. The water clarity is amazing with it.

Emperor Aquatics 80w on about 420g twv. I think the key to running it properly and getting the most out of the UV is proper flow thru it and how it is plumbed into your system. The EA website has a lot of great information about correct flow rates and different ways to plumb them into your system.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Sounds like a pro UV community. After my recent losses with ICK in my system and then seeing that Sunny runs a UV and still maintains an awesome reef. I converted to UV too.. I run an 18 watt Deep blue unit on my system (227 gallon system).

Like Spotter mentions it won't prevent an outbreak but it will minimize the damage.... Once they hit the water column and try to jump from host to host

Last edited:
I've heard many people say they are a waste, kill beneficial bacteria and pods. I dont believe they will prevent your tank from getting ich but I do believe they will help with fighting any outbreaks you might get. As far as pod's go.....my sump and live rock tank are loaded with them. Its also very important to have the right size UV on your system. A lot of times you see people using models that are big enough for their systems so they dont see a significant benefit from using them.

Here's a pretty good flow rate chart for the EA models.....

http://www.emperoraquatics-pond.com/uv_sterilizer_flow_rate.php

I have about 40-45 gallons total water value, 30g DT, 15 sump/fuge. I run a 9w turbo twist that I just put back to operation, after having it in storage for along time. Reason why I decided to hook it up again was, because one of my fish started getting ich,and didn't want to loose it. Since it been running I don't see a visual of ich on my fish. I'm thinking instead of running it 24/7, maybe run it every other couple days. I also heard they kill beneficial bacteria, but my question how much, if my fish, and corals are doing good why shut off the uv.

My question would be , my system 55 with a 15 gallon sump with out a uv light is doing great ,would I expect it to benefit any from adding one. Currently I have two clowns, algae blenny ,watchman goby, dusky jawfish, and a doty back. Not a heavy bio load mostly coral

I have always used an Aqua 15w. Its been running on my reef tank for the last year and ran for 5 years on my FOLWR. I never had ick or any bacterial related problems. I always thought "it cant hurt". And it hasn't.

Uv is basically a filter that your cant see what its doing. The concentrated light is what kills the bacteria and algea.

You will see more clarity in the water in the tank but other then that its a silent help.

For small systems deep blue makes a in tank version that is 8 watts. Works like a charm. On larger systems you may want to go with one that has to be plumbed in but you have to adjsut the flow for how you want to use it.

The faster the flow the less you will kill, the slower the flow the more you kill off. Most units come with instructions on the amount of flow that is good for your system.

I just ordred a big uv for my large system
reason being I import anemones and try to keep water as clean and stable as possible
sometimes they have infections also run ozone at times