• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How many quarantine tanks

How many quarantine tanks are necessary for proper parasite control?

I understand one is needed for fish (whether it's one tank with copper, choroquine phosphate etc) or ttm. But supposed you quarantined them properly, what about incoming coral frags that may be harboring ich cycsts? Or snails?

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have two quarantine tanks...one for fish and one for coral....and yes I do quarantine snails. I religiously use bayer dip, and CoralRX before quarantining...it doesn't matter where the corals come from. They stay in QT for 4-6 weeks

^^ This is what I do as well; although I isolate all corals/inverts to a fishless environment for 76 days.

The thing about a coral/invert QT is it can be pretty simple. One or two pieces of LR for filtration, heater, some flow, decent light, etc. You don't even really need a skimmer being there should be no fish present.

100_2082_zpseba583fa.jpg DSC_1140 - whole tank_zpsmjce5klr.jpg