• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How much Flow??

Hello everyone,
I'm setting up a new 80gal reef and I would like to know what the recommendations are for flow through the sump (30gal). Currently the tank (used setup) is equipped with two Mag 5 pumps. One for the system and one for the skimmer. I picked up a new Quiet One 4000 (1017gph) to run the sump and was going to use one Mag5 for the skimmer and the other for a closed loop to increase circulation.

I plan to keep mostly LPS and softies with some inverts and small reef fish.

Sound Good?

Thanks,
Sandry75

Sounds OK if the pump is not pumping it higher 6'. If you could manage to split the return from the sump into to or more outlets in the tank, it would be very helpful. However my concern is with the reviews of this pump. Did you read them before buying it? Many people complained about unreliable restarts after shutdowns and power outages. Many people also complained about the noise.

Hey mladencovic,
I currently have the return going in two directions - one at each end of the tank. I read a couple reviews regarding the pump and did not hear any negatives - I hope the reliability will be good. As for the noise, I could not even tell it was running until I checked the return. It is very quiet - at least for now.
Thanks,
Sandry75

C

concept3

you don't need that much flow going through your sump, a range of 6-10 X will suffice. Flow is more important within the tank itself to keep particulates suspended which in turn dumps down to the sump where it can be skimmed or filtered.

i have a 92'ish gallon tank with a single return pump running at 500 gph which is also split to feed my phosban and calcium reactor, so I'm probably only getting a true 400 into the tank. Within the tank, I have almost 5000 gph of total max flow, but at random (Tunze 6100+6000)

I'm with Merv on the flow through the sump. I run a mag 7 on a 75 gallon.

In the tank we are very different. I keep mostly LPS, especially frogspawns and hammers. I have 2 maxi jet 1200's hooked to an aquacontroller that pulse to provide surge current. One is on for 1 minute and off for 4, the other is on for 1 minute and off for 4.

I'd use the Mag 5 pumps for the return and skimmer. I don't think it's a wise idea to return more then your skimmer can process as the overall tank suffers when you do this. The Quiet One 4000 (1017gph) will probably make a better closed loop pump anyway and give you more flow inside the tank.

Carlo

Carlo said:
I don't think it's a wise idea to return more then your skimmer can process as the overall tank suffers when you do this.
Carlo

This highly depends on the design of the sump and the placement of the skimmer. If your skimmer is inline with the return pup, then yes, if, on the other hand, it is offline (independent pump and flow for skimmer), then that is not true. Excess flow can at least be seen as a "semi-closed loop". Additionally, if your intake and outflow from your skimmer are in the same chamber, then return pump MUST have stronger flow then the skimmer. Otherwise, skimmer will not work to its maximum potential since it will be, in large part, reprocessing the already skimmed water.

Thanks for the adice guys!! I appreciate it. I will probably go with using the new Quiet one 4000 for the closed loop as you have recommended.

Thnaks again,
Sandry75
;D