• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How much GPH for a 75 gallon mixed reef?

I may be upgrading to a 75 gallon reef ready i believe the return in like 700 gph or somewhere around that point correct me if i'm wrong if returns don't go that high but how much flow would u guys recommend?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You will hear folks stating you need 10X volume for your return pump. However, that's not necessarily true. With some systems, 10X would be very noisy....and potentially too much flow, especially if it's a small sump. You'd be just fine down to 5 times DT volume, or even less. Either way, I'd either use an adjustable return pump (a DC pump), or put a ball valve on the return so that you could control return volume and turn it down, if necessary.

If you already have the 700gph pump, that will be just fine (with potentially a valve on the return line.) Realize you'll also have head loss, so that 700 will be knocked down to 550-600 or somewhere in there.

You will hear folks stating you need 10X volume for your return pump. However, that's not necessarily true. With some systems, 10X would be very noisy....and potentially too much flow, especially if it's a small sump. You'd be just fine down to 5 times DT volume, or even less. Either way, I'd either use an adjustable return pump (a DC pump), or put a ball valve on the return so that you could control return volume and turn it down, if necessary.

If you already have the 700gph pump, that will be just fine (with potentially a valve on the return line.) Realize you'll also have head loss, so that 700 will be knocked down to 550-600 or somewhere in there.
Thank you for your help :)