• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to actually start the reef..

Like I say plenty of times, call me stupid but here's my question to everyone..

How do I start a saltwater tank?

This is what I think

Start with an empty tank... Get a bunch of buckets and mix the salt and then make sure it's at a specific salinity..

Dump some live rock into each bucket and let it soak for a bit..

Add my live sand to the bottom of the tank..

Start adding chunks of rock in a good formation...

Pour the water into the tank from the buckets, slowly..

Turn on the Aqueon 30 (My filter) and heater..

Wait?

Now I ordered a AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115.. When do I turn this on?

1) Buy or borrow book on reefkeeping
2) read book ;)
3) getting water ready is good idea
4) put down rock(you may wish to put down some protective layer first(eggcrate, cutting board,ect) or not).
5) sand....this will keep the rock from collapsing if something digs under the rock.
6) add water
7) after sand calms down you can start your powerheads and skimmers.
That should take you a few weeks. ;D

Ohh so it's rock first? I figured it would be sand first so i can evenly place it? If i pour it over the rocks I don't think itll get into the middle bottom, and some might fall into the rock?

Any recommended books, with pictures ;D ;D

I mix the initial water in the tank before adding rock and whatnot leaving space for rock and sand to be added later. From there I set up the rock how I want and add the sand in (Cut the corner of the bag to control flow). You can easily go sand then rock and push your base rocks into the sand for stability.

As for books...
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner and the many of the beginner stickies on various forums.

You can start skimming from day 1 if you want.

vangvace said:
I mix the initial water in the tank before adding rock and whatnot leaving space for rock and sand to be added later. From there I set up the rock how I want and add the sand in (Cut the corner of the bag to control flow). You can easily go sand then rock and push your base rocks into the sand for stability.

As for books...
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner and the many of the beginner stickies on various forums.

You can start skimming from day 1 if you want.

Well mixing the water in the tank would be kind of bad wouldn't it because I of the fact that you won't know how much space the rocks+sand will take up especially with your arm stuck in the water.. But then again I do like that idea alot haha...

As for skimming, what benefits will skimming give me?

you got the jist of it.

read through tale of the tank threads and watch everyone go.

- mix your salt to specific gravity w/powerheads etc running (reef usually 1.024-1.026) - this can be done the first time within the tank (while empty)

- basically you add your LR/BaseRock, LiveSand and all your equipment on.

- to get a "hard cycle" (to speed things up) performing water changes about every 2-3 days helps as long as the step above is absolutely cured LR. make sure all parameters are zero'd before trying to add livestock.

- get into routine for husbandry, cleaning equipment, doing water changes on a regular basis, etc. it's a huge waiting game during the cycle.

i also believe it's a good general rule to not add to fast to your bioload due to limited good bacteria.

after adding first fish give it about another 2-3 weeks before adding another.

also during your cycle you have nothing required dosing needs. so no need to do that as well.

Anthonyjiz said:
Well mixing the water in the tank would be kind of bad wouldn't it because I of the fact that you won't know how much space the rocks+sand will take up especially with your arm stuck in the water.. But then again I do like that idea alot haha...

As for skimming, what benefits will skimming give me?

I normally fill the tank to about 3/4 of what you would normally fill it to. I'd also have your waterchange water ready at the same time. If you don't need it to finish off your tank, then you'll need it during the cycle.

Skimming won't really provide you a faster cycle time or anything and I do prefer going without initially and ride the cycle out, but it would give you a chance to get used to the new equipment. Also check out http://www.fishlore.com/proteinskimmer.htm for more info.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's no need to skim a newly cycled tank. Before all is said and done you'll replace all of that water anyway. Just go ahead and run the tank with the water, rock, sand. If the rock is dry and clean then you'll want to create an ammonia source (Raw shrimp or fish food. No fish.). If the rock has dead/dying/decaying matter then it is perfect for creating the biological filter necessary to support life.

Your tank will go through some phases. Not all of them pretty. All of them natural. The water will start nice and clear. Looks great, you're so proud. Then when the ammonia starts then the tank clouds over and you can't imagine what went wrong (nothing, it is natural). THEN the diatoms start. Then it all goes away and the tank gets better again. Light it very little while the biological filter is establishing and increase your light VERY slowly to prevent the hair algae and cyano outbreaks. Once your ammo/nitrate are down to zero THEN change all of your water and consider what fish you're going to add.

Enjoy.

during month 2. you can expect brown algae on your sand bed. that's natural as well unless you got a clean up crew. uhmmm....still waiting on that november group buy. AHHHHHH clean up clean up clean up!!! ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brown algae on your sand = Diatoms. Nothing you can do about that except let the silicates burn out (don't use the Red Sea salt if you want to burn those out any time soon)

Phyl said:
There's no need to skim a newly cycled tank. Before all is said and done you'll replace all of that water anyway. Just go ahead and run the tank with the water, rock, sand. If the rock is dry and clean then you'll want to create an ammonia source (Raw shrimp or fish food. No fish.). If the rock has dead/dying/decaying matter then it is perfect for creating the biological filter necessary to support life.

Your tank will go through some phases. Not all of them pretty. All of them natural. The water will start nice and clear. Looks great, you're so proud. Then when the ammonia starts then the tank clouds over and you can't imagine what went wrong (nothing, it is natural). THEN the diatoms start. Then it all goes away and the tank gets better again. Light it very little while the biological filter is establishing and increase your light VERY slowly to prevent the hair algae and cyano outbreaks. Once your ammo/nitrate are down to zero THEN change all of your water and consider what fish you're going to add.

Enjoy.

Change ALL of my water? What do you mean?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Since there will be no fish/livestock in the tank you can drain the whole thing and replace the water. The bio-capability of a tank lies in the rock/sand/tank. Not the water.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Brown algae on your sand = Diatoms. Nothing you can do about that except let the silicates burn out (don't use the Red Sea salt if you want to burn those out any time soon)

Phyl Can you explain a little deeper? Silicates burn out? Do they need to be exported or should I just let it be? Can diatoms work it's way up rockwork or smother corals? or would that be Cyano?

Been battling something for about 3 or 4 months now. It is either diatoms, cyano, or both. I'm really not sure. One thing interesting is that I tried the Phosguard( I believe) stuff that takes out silicates also and it went away for 3 days immediately and then came back? LOL

Taz

Water changes to export those things you want to get out of your tank(like ammonia). I do love to hear myself type ;D but I would strongly suggest some reading. As much as we would like to get you all the information that you need here in the thread we are going to miss something. Grab a reefkeeping book from someone...I think you are north of me ..if not you are welcome to come by and borrow a book or two from me. I am in Monmouth County FYI. There are also some beginner threads that blange started that should give a lot of great info. Check them out think they are stickyed.

Phyl said:
Since there will be no fish/livestock in the tank you can drain the whole thing and replace the water. The bio-capability of a tank lies in the rock/sand/tank. Not the water.

Wow so you're saying literally siphon the WHOLE tank... but wouldn't that make my water parameters all weird?

basicly you will eventually change all of the water with biweekly water changes. If you are getting a new skimmer I would start skimming after the sand settles. Even though the bioload is low it will give your skimmer a chance to break in before you introduce livestock.
Do not siphon out the whole tank. Just 15-20% at a time.

Well now that I just noticed how close you are (barely 20mins with route 3 and westside ave) maybe you can come and help me through this whole process when I get going =DD