• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to add calcium

So I just added 50lbs to my 29 gallon tank. I wanted to know how soon before i start adding calcium ??

What would be the best way to add without getting a reactor. What is the best brand to get ??

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi! The good news is that you don't need to add calcium until you have a large coral population. Before that, water changes are really all you need. Never dose calcium without testing for it first. Never add calcium without testing for and adding an Alk component as well.

You could either start off with a 2 part (B-ionic or similar) or you could add kalk. Either supplement will give you what you need to keep your tank balanced. Enjoy!

As Phyllis has pointed out, you add calcium only to replenish the one used by corals. While the rest of the life in your tank is also using it, it does it on a much smaller scale so that regular water changes will balance it properly. Calcium levels are maintained in one or in combination of the several of the follwing ways:

1) Larger and/or more frequent water changes.
2) Liquid calcium supplement. Either on its own or as a part of two parts solution.
3) Kalk - lime water.
4) Calcium reactor.

Which one of the methods you will use will depend on several factors like the amount of Ca you need to replenish (size of your system and number of corals), what are the initial and long term costs you are considering, how diligent in maintaining your system you are, etc.

So, at the beginning, you maintain your Ca levels only through regular water changes. As you add corals (stony), and they start using more of the Ca than you can replenish with wter changes, which you verify with tests, you can start dosing either two part solutions or Kalk.