• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to Bring a Hippo and Purple tang back to good health

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I picked up 2 big fish today. The Hippo was free and has what looks like scales missing around his body on the blue part. It still eats well and is fat about 7 or 8 inches long.

The Purple tang was getting it's *** kicked by a bunch of other tangs. it has chunks taken out of its fins. Any idea how to get these guys back to good health.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would start off with a good varied diet enriched with some garlic and vitamin C. Also if you can get it, try adding some Beta Glucan to the food as well. You an usually find it at a Vitamin/Health food store. Beta Glucan is an immuno stimulant for fish and it will help promote the healing process.

Also a nice quiet QT tank with subdued lighting and very high water quality.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hang nori soaked in garlic/selcon daily for them. If you've put them in a display go with actinics only for a couple of days, to keep the lights dim as Matt suggested. Formula 1 & 2 frozen foods too. The more they eat the easier they'll be able to rebound.

I just couldn't resist the urge...

fishybooboo.jpg

In all seriousness... I think it would be really cool to document the progress. Would give an idea how long one could reasonably expect a fish to recover from injuries to whatever degree they are... Not sure if you could get some pics without flash so you don't stress em out even more...but if you could, I'd be interested in the results. Would be cool to see the healing process!

Good Luck!

Hey ed, good luck with the fish.

Also just wanted to ask Matt and Phyl, why garlic. I know they say to give the fish garlic because it goes into the blood stream and parisites don't like the taste so they are less likely to stay on the fish. But other than that what health benifits are there?

Also Ed, I think the ripped fins and what not will just come back over time. I've seen my Watanabes lyertails get bitten off and they've grown back everytime.

As long as they're eating I would have hope.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Actually, Mike, I've never heard of the reasoning you just mentioned for garlic. Usually I hear that it's a natural immune booster in almost any animal, and it just helps keep their...well, their immune system up to help them fight off issues.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Subliminal said:
Actually, Mike, I've never heard of the reasoning you just mentioned for garlic. Usually I hear that it's a natural immune booster in almost any animal, and it just helps keep their...well, their immune system up to help them fight off issues.

What he said...

reefitup said:
I just couldn't resist the urge...

fishybooboo.jpg

In all seriousness... I think it would be really cool to document the progress. Would give an idea how long one could reasonably expect a fish to recover from injuries to whatever degree they are... Not sure if you could get some pics without flash so you don't stress em out even more...but if you could, I'd be interested in the results. Would be cool to see the healing process!

Good Luck!

You are wacked ;) but the idea of pictures (without flash) is a good idea I would be interested also.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ed

You can try Melafix it's a tea tree extract. I used it when I had Cichlids for torn fins worked great and it can be used in both fresh and saltwater. The one setback is that it gives the water a brown tint but after a couple a water changes it back to normal.

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you use Melafix in a tank with a skimmer, TURN OFF YOUR SKIMMER ! ! !

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Melafix and Primafix are FW meds and basically useless in SW. IMHO, don't waste the time and money to use it.

As for the garlic it is multi purposed, it is an immune booster and also an appetite stimulant. As for that parasites not liking garlic, the fish need to consume it every day, not just when something arises. If you start feeding it, say for example when you notice ich, it will do no good because the fish get ingest enough of the garlic to be of a benefit in the short term of treatment. Garlic is best used as a preventative measure instead of a treatment for parasites.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
any chance you all could post some links of food you would recommend with garlic and vit c. Or tell me what store sells them. Update both fish really seem to like the 265. they are all getting along. I feel like Oprah with the sick puppies

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Add your own to what you are feeding them now. Garlic can be gotten at your grocery store in the form of McCormack's garlic juice found in the spice aisle, Vit C can be the same as you would take yourself. You can either grind up a tablet or if you can find it in capsules open one up and sprinkle it on the food as it thaws. Liquid Vit C is best if you can find it.