• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to Bring back Corals from Frag Farmers?

So My wife (Reeficus Wifus) - has agreed to go with me to the Frag Swap in CT provided we make it a family event. We plan on driving up Saturday morning around 5AM and checking in at the Best Western Regency (5 miles away from the swap.) I have never attended a swap so far away before. How do I get the corals back safely next day?

My plan was to take a 10 gallon tank and fill it with saltwater with a heater in it and place the corals in their bags inside of the tank overnight. I plan on mostly buying soft corals like acans and zoos and stuff like that. Maybe a chalice or sps piece or so. Would this be ok? If I Don’t have to use saltwater maybe I could use the hotel water In the same tank just filled with fresh water that was warmed up by the heater.
After the swap we planned on maybe visiting some stores on the way home if they are on the way. Figured we would eat out that Saturday night as well.

For the ride back home I have a cooler or/Styrofoam box.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like a plan.

......For the ride back home I have a cooler or/Styrofoam box.

Include a couple hand warms wrapped in a facecloth and you'll be good.

hand-warmers-55511.jpg

Some of the vendors will hold your purchase till the end of the day before you leave. That way it won't be in the bag that long. You figure when you get them shipped to you they could be in the box for 24 hours. I just had a shipment last week of 5 favias that was the absolute shipping I have ever seen. the idiot didn't even use heat packs. Some of the containers actually had ice in the cups. however 1 of the 5 did actually live(surprisingly)

Def see if they will hold till the end. And I would bring a bucket of saltwater. At least enough to fill that 10g tank. I would even use water from your display and possibly remove and re bag the next morning, If your inclined to do so. I def would not use tap water to float the bags in though. Why take the chance if a bag is leaking.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're going the saltwater route, forget about bringing a glass tank.....bring a salt bucket (or two). They seal well; you can use them for the water as well; the thermal mass of approximately four gallons will travel well in a heated car. Bring along a small heater and pump for when you're in the room and make an eggcrate base and you'll be good to go. Don't need to rebag, just bring the whole bucket with frags.

If you're going the saltwater route, forget about bringing a glass tank.....bring a salt bucket (or two). They seal well; you can use them for the water as well; the thermal mass of approximately four gallons will travel well in a heated car. Bring along a small heater and pump for when you're in the room and make an eggcrate base and you'll be good to go. Don't need to rebag, just bring the whole bucket with frags.

You are one smart man Paul!

That's awesome! I bet that's how the vendors probably bring their frags anyway. I'll have to look into that. The 10 Gallon tank was really just to keep the water warm and the corals calm while i'm in the hotel room. We plan to leave early Sunday if we can.