• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to frag an Echino?

I have an Echino? I think, that I want to frag. It is completely encrusted to the rock underneath, but is getting too big for me to handle. How do I go about it. Thanks.

Joe

IMG_0188.jpg
[/img]

IMG_0010.jpg
[/img]

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I cut them I use a dremel from the under side and cut through to the top. Mine weren't encrusted on rock though. It will either have to be chipped from the rock, or dremeled through the top and a chisel used to break the rock. If you have a wet saw you could use that to cut through the rock instead of using the dremel/chisel approach.

The club has one and we'd be happy to do it at the next meeting you can make it to.

Phyl,

I cannot make it to Cherry Hill unfortunately.

So what you are saying is that I can take a wet saw to it and basically cut the entire coral and all into squares. Want to confirm, just a bit nervous.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup. That's what you need to do. There's a video of Sharks doing that around somewhere and some pics of RichT too in another spot. Just cut the rock side down, not the flesh side. If the saw doesn't make it through the flesh use a chisel and then a blade to cut the flesh.

If you still haven't done it by April, I think there's an NJRC north meeting that month.

Don't be nervous... no different than running a dremel through it. Ok, just a little different. LOL!

Alright then. I'll look around for the pics and the video. Appreciate the info.

M&M-Got the clam about a year ago from Underwater World. John has some really nice stuff.