• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to spend the $$$$$ !!!

Planning for our “tranquil” reef is enjoyable until you hit the hard reality of hard dollars.
After setting aside the budget for the tank, the stand and the sump/fuge, I would like to ask the posters here how and where they would allocate the remaining dollars. Assuming “X” dollars for the rest of the setup, would you put:
25% in the skimmer
15% lights
15% live rock
10% pump(s)
10% RO/DI
10% starter livestock
ETC . . .
(This is an incomplete list, feel free to add )

In other words, how would you prioritize you're spending. Based on your experience, novice to long time pro, I am asking you to share your thoughts. Bear in mind this is a new setup with no previous experience, equipment and or success and failure.
(The reality of “real” dollars is giving me a “swag” of around a low $3600.00 to a high of $5000.00 budget.)

Please keep in mind the budget is the initial outlay, to get the system up and started!
Thanks in advance to all who reply.

What size tank is it?
Do you have a sump?
What corals do you want to keep.

I'll assume since this is your first setup that you'll start with soft corals and then move to LPS and maybe SPS.
Personally I'd spend the money for a good quality skimmer.
ASM G-4+ Protein Skimmer w/ Sedra 9000 Pump $450 or equal.

Lighting for soft corals in a 24" deep tank will do fine with a T5 setup. I would go with a retro kit so it can be reconfigured if you want to upgrade to Metal Halide (MH).
T5 (8x54watt) $450

2 quality pumps (Panworld or equal) $225 ea. $450

RO/DI (75 GPD): $175

Oceanmotions super squirt: $275

Liverock: $500 - $1000

Livestock: ?

$2300.00 - $3300.00

Don't forget
fans
valves
tubing
PVC pipe / primer & glue
timers
Auto top off
sand
carbon
kalk
Joe's juice
food
tongs
nets
salt
and on and on and on....

I have to agree with Jeff. Really need to know tank size and what you want to keep. Its hard to size skimmer and lights with out this information

definatly go big on the skimmer, cant be too big, and dont skimp on the lighting, water circulation is a biggie also. if you are going with halides youll also need a chiller.

Ironhorseiv said:
(The reality of “real” dollars is giving me a “swag” of around a low $3600.00 to a high of $5000.00 budget.)

You numbers are more or less right on target. Usually when I'm asks about how much a reef system will cost, I tell them that it will cost about $35 to $50 per gal of water in the main display tank. So if you were doing a 100 gal tank you'd be jsut about right.

It's very difficult to allocate specific percentages to each component. There are so many of them, and to some extent it depends on what you want to keep and where you want to emphasize. Of course, you can also add a lot more equipment, and spend even more money. You also can build some of the things and save a bit.

I will say that you should only purchase top quality equipment. Long term it is the least expensive. This doesn't mean the equipment has to be the most expensive. There is plenty of good equipment out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. However, the equipmet does need to last. It's going to get used around SW, and that can do a lot of damage all by itself.

When doing lighting, I highly recommend electronic ballasts, since the additional cost of the ballasts will quickly be paid for in electricity savings. It's similar for buying pumps too. Always check the power consumption among the various models you are selecting from. Sometimes you'll even find that two smaller pumps consume less power and produce more flow that a single large pump.

Sorry... Forgot to post the important info. :-[
Right now, in the planning stage we are working on a 120 g 48 " tank; a minimum 30 g sump/fuge(actual size TBD by stand size) and stand with canopy for lighting.
As far as corals, will start out with what is the easiest to keep(most forgiving for newbie mistakes :eek: ) and than based on the learning experience, will integrate different types - same for the fish! Realizing we are new, we are going s-l-o-w! Thanks everyone for your responses to date! You are all very helpful.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now would be a great time to become a member! The group buys usually offer %15 off with free shipping. The $12 membership fee buys you a lot more for your money.

Bob

Definitely become a member. The September group buy is with Premium Aquatics, 15% off their already great prices and free shipping.

Starting slow is a good choice. If you really enjoy the hobby, you will venture into the more demanding corals and fish. Keep that in mind when picking out your equipment.

Sump - A 40 breeder 36x18x16 or a 50 gal. 36x18x18 will fit nicely in a 120 stand.

Lighting - T-5's or Metal Halide, both excellent. Personally, I prefer MH. I ran 2 - 150W HQI's on a 65 and 3 - 250W on a 180 and never needed a chiller, just a couple 4" fans blowing across the tank surface and an 8" fan on the sump. I also ran a couple T'5 actinics on both tanks just for color.

Skimmer - I started with an Aqua-C, switched to an ASM, then to a Deltec. For my current build I went straight to a Bubble King, no more wishing I had gotten a better skimmer. I'm not saying you have to go with a Deltec, BK, H&S, etc. Just get the best skimmer you can. It is the most important piece of equipment for your reef tank.

Flow - You get what you pay for. I prefer Tunze or Vortech. Although the new Hydor Koralia controllable pumps look pretty good.

RODI - A MUST!!!

Live Rock - Do not pay LFS prices, I wouldn't even order on line anymore. There is always someone selling live rock in the for sale section here on NJRC.

An auto- top off is one of the best and most affordable things you can add to your tank.

Tere's also a ton of little things, some you need, some are nice to have. You'll figure most of that out as you go.

I think I just turned your $5K budget into a $8K budget...LOL.

Sorry, I'm nuts. Just ask my wife. ::)

Yea im just getting into this hobby and quickly learning it is expensive and you must be very patient ;D or else you will end up wasting lost of money and time. Don't forget about all the testing kits you will need also along with some nice live sand

knowing its a 120, i would go with atleast a mrc mr2 or a etss xr600, there is no such thing as over skimming, what i like about the mrc skimmers is you can ad chambers and the skimmer will grow with your demands instead of having to go out and buy another skimmer

Thank you, everyone, for your input. The "best skimmer for the best price" not the "most expensive" idea is popular and a primary concern... Lighting I believe will depend on what we put in the tank but will definitely keep in mind all recommendations. Pump(s) will depend on sump/fuge setup and if we go with closed loop configuration as an addition.Will also calculate heat and noise variables on all items purchased.

All good advice :)