• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How's my vortech placement look?

kevin

NJRC Member
Okay, my setup before:
I had the mp10 middle and to the back of the tank
I had the mp40 same place just higher up

I'm battling hair algae and cyano..

New setup:

Sorry for my terrible photos.. but should get the point across.

anti-sync

Mp10 80% reef crest (to the front and higher up)
20130131_182351_zpsc8e70dff.jpg

MP40 50% reef crest (lower)
20130131_182346_zps0540e7c2.jpg

20130131_182358_zps5df3567b.jpg

I have a 180gallon tank with 2 MP40s. I have them sitting at the exact same space on opposite sides of the tank. I use my apex to go sync, antisync and various modes throughout the day. I don't get many dead spots.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Sorry, forgot to add! 75g

The mp40 should be higher than where it is. You want to make sure it moves the surface of the water and does not pickup sand.
With 50% power it is a waste of mp40 really in a 4 feet tank. You need more flow if you want to battle cyano or keep SPS.
I would put mp40 8 inches from the water surface and start at 100%. Then adjust the speed so it does not blow sand and leave it there.
Also remember that in lagoon mode the undertow on mp40 is maximum.

Sunny

kevin

NJRC Member
The mp40 should be higher than where it is. You want to make sure it moves the surface of the water and does not pickup sand.
With 50% power it is a waste of mp40 really in a 4 feet tank. You need more flow if you want to battle cyano or keep SPS.
I would put mp40 8 inches from the water surface and start at 100%. Then adjust the speed so it does not blow sand and leave it there.
Also remember that in lagoon mode the undertow on mp40 is maximum.

Sunny

I measured and the top of the mp40 is at 8inches from the water surface. Should the bottom or top be at 8inches? Thanks for the info Sunny.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Center it. 1 inch up and down should not matter a lot. Make sure it does not pull air when at 100%.

kevin

NJRC Member
Center it. 1 inch up and down should not matter a lot. Make sure it does not pull air when at 100%.

okay perfect! I'll give it a go tomorrow. Lights are off for night.
also, do you mean center it in the "middle" of the right side? If so, it's going to blow the crap out of some corals

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
okay perfect! I'll give it a go tomorrow. Lights are off for night.
also, do you mean center it in the "middle" of the right side? If so, it's going to blow the crap out of some corals

Center 8 inches from top. I will keep it closer to the front glass if you can. It depends on your coral placement.

You answered your own question ;) :) ..

Put it in center in the back, blowing towards the front glass.

Kevin this is where I have the mp10 in my tank. Seems to help mix up the flow a bit. I don't have any 40's though. I have 2 mp20's, 1 on each side.

kevin

NJRC Member
Wish I had such "useless" things;) tank looks great by the way

lol, thanks! The mp10 doesn't do much for this long of a tank! Putting it in the middle back should be interesting!

Kevin this is where I have the mp10 in my tank. Seems to help mix up the flow a bit. I don't have any 40's though. I have 2 mp20's, 1 on each side.

awesome! I would love another mp40, but I just bought this one, LOL.

I'm going to mess around with the placement tonight if I have time!

kevin

NJRC Member
alright, after work today I had a chance to fiddle with the tank. I have the mp40 about 6-8inches from the top. I have it set to 80% on lagoon mode. 100% was a little too much, LOL. I put the mp10 on the back wall in the middle. I might just sell it because i turned the mp40 off & just had the mp10 on full blast.. felt like it was barely doing anything.