• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HUGE CRISIS W/ SALT LEVELS

Ok, im posting this in a bit of a hurry so excuse me if there are errors.
Lets rewind to about 2 weeks ago... im having a battle with cyanobacteria and start looking for solutions. Refugium goes in with chaeto and no results... i cut the lights, no results....i cut back feeding, no results.... the only next thing can be the fact that I dont use RO water. I make a trip to AF and buy 10 gallons of presalted RO water. So i get home, do my maintenance and all is well.

Over the course of the next two weeks I notice that everything in the tank is taking a turn for the worse. Polyps wont open, inverts are dying off, xenia shrivel. Once i noticed that it wasnt confined to just one specimen I test the water....results come back clean. PH, Ammonia (tiny bit high), nitrates, nitrites, KH, CA, etc are all within range. I NEVER BOTHERED TO CHECK SALINITY!

So Im in the area of Aquatic Obsessions and stop in to chat with will as well as pick up some RO water to do another big change. Well about 10 minutes ago I decide to check Will's RO water gravity and it comes in a perfect 1.024... just for the sake of doing it I check my tank..... get ready for this..... 1.045!!!!!!!!! This reading from water that was approx 80% from AF (accounting for topoffs)..... I AM STUNNED... seriously. The only inhabitants left in the tank are my clam, 2 clowns, sixline, ricordea, and some hermits...all is else is a loss.. even the GSP which are some of the hardiest corals..... ill take it as a lesson learned..check specific gravity of store bought water... AND DONT GO TO AF!

:'(
RIP -
Green Star Polyp Colony
Pulsing Xenia
RedLeg Hermits
BlueLeg Hermits
Orange Turbos
Goniopora
Open Brain Trachy
Candy Cane Coral
Green Brittle Star
Sandsifting star
Every Zoa i had.....

If anyone wants to donate some frags it would be greatly appreciated... (thought I would throw that out there for some pity ;) )

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: HUGE CRISIS W/ ABSOLUTELY FISH!

Sorry for your losses. You should always check the salinity of your make up water no mater what the source is. I would be interested to see what their actual salinity is asue in order for it to raise your level tat much it has got to be over 1.060.

What are you using for top off water?

yeah it is a definate lesson learned... i was so busy looking at other parameters and i figured since it was store bought that i should be alright so it completely slipped my mind to check that first.

I was using their water to top off as well....

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

butrball12 said:
yeah it is a definate lesson learned... i was so busy looking at other parameters and i figured since it was store bought that i should be alright so it completely slipped my mind to check that first.

I was using their water to top off as well....

Their fresh RO water or their salted RO water?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Hate to tell you this, but you are the one that raised your salinity that high not them.

Top off should be done with fresh water not salt water. As the water evaporates, the salt stays behind thus raising your salinity. Adding fresh water brings it back down, adding saltwater causes it to go even higher. Thus every time you topped off you were raising your salinity.

wow... definately did not know that. would the fact that I only made one topoff make such a drastic change though? Literally like 1/2 inch of water

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Yes it could. How long has your tank been set up that you've only topped off 1 time? I have to top my tanks off every day. How much water did you add, gallonage wise?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member

before you buy any other live stock you should get a few books to read. Or ask people on here how to do this. I'd be happy to give you a few frags once your tank is stable.

ive topped of with RO salted water once in this last week or so...

I had been only adding water when i did weekly changes with water that I mixed at home...

I have Bob Fenner's book and have done quite alot of reading online but I'll definately have to accept this one as a mistake on my part.

panmanmatt said:
Yes it could. How long has your tank been set up that you've only topped off 1 time? I have to top my tanks off every day. How much water did you add, gallonage wise?

id say probably a gallon or two at best

Butrball

I've made that mistake before so you are not alone. I lost a lot of actual reef live rock. And I didn't know it till someone pointed out that my salinity was too high. Take it as a lesson learn, at your expense.

rev

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

butrball12 said:

I had been only adding water when i did weekly changes with water that I mixed at home...

I have Bob Fenner's book and have done quite alot of reading online but I'll definately have to accept this one as a mistake on my part.

So you never topped off your tank, you just did a water change and filled it back up with saltwater? If this is the case, your salinity was slowly raising as the water was evaporating, when you did a water change and filled it back up with saltwater you were raising the salinity.

You should be replacing any evaporated water daily with fresh water. Especially in a tank that small where any changes are bound to have a huge impact.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

butrball12 said:
panmanmatt said:

id say probably a gallon or two at best

2 gallons in a 20 gallon tank is over 10% of your water volume. That is a huge amount to top off in a small tank. It causes a huge sudden change in salinity.

panmanmatt said:
butrball12 said:

So you never topped off your tank, you just did a water change and filled it back up with saltwater? If this is the case, your salinity was slowly raising as the water was evaporating, when you did a water change and filled it back up with saltwater you were raising the salinity.

You should be replacing any evaporated water daily with fresh water. Especially in a tank that small where any changes are bound to have a huge impact.

next time i go buy water I'm going to label the buckets "salted" and "unsalted" so that there will be no more confusion. Thanks for the help guys and as for AF, im sorry that I raised a bit of a commotion about them. I still preffer AO one hundered times over but that is for another forum.

like you said Rev, lesson learned at my expense... have to learn one way or another I guess

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

I would take 1/2 gallon of water out and replace it with fresh water to lower your salinity. Do this every 2-3 days until you get down to an acceptable level 1.024 or so. Be sure to top the tank off every day with fresh water even if it is only a quart or so of water.

panmanmatt said:
I would take 1/2 gallon of water out and replace it with fresh water to lower your salinity. Do this every 2-3 days until you get down to an acceptable level 1.024 or so. Be sure to top the tank off every day with fresh water even if it is only a quart or so of water.

would you reccomend bottled distilled water? I honeslty dont have the location setup an RO unit and its a long drive to anyone who sells RO water so Im left to use water conditioners that make my skimmer nuts for a few hours. Any alternative?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Distilled will be fine. Would it be possible to make a run to AO for RO water and get 10-15 gallons of it? You can store it in empty salt buckets or jugs, just put a small pump or airline in it to keep it aerated.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Where are you located? I can give you some RO, just bring something to carry it in.