• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Huge Reef in Red Bank

boontonbob said:
The clinic is actually very renowned as a leading facility for emergency care and (I believe) difficult surgeries. It is not uncommon for people to drive a long way to get there at odd times like holidays

yes, a full service emergency animal hospital open 24/7

Subliminal

NJRC Member
When I took my dog there it was because they had an oncology dept. I think her surgery took two 15 minutes visits and then an hour or two surgery and cost us $6k.

That place makes money like nobody's business...they can afford the tank, me thinks.

I was in the area today visiting some friends, so I stopped by...

It was GREAT, the best "public" reef I've ever seen outside of an LFS.

I was there around 5:30, the folks behind the counter were very nice and invited me and my 11-year old son back to see the tank.

There's a lot to look at, from beautiful show-size tangs to a variety of different SPS and LPS. Some really big frogspawns, nice monti capricornis, hydno, branching porites, too much to list.

One thing I really liked was that there was big and little life, down to tuxedo urchins and brittle stars, 6-line wrasses and algae blennies.

Maintenance must be a pain, I can't see how they (Austin) get down to the bottom. There is one area where mushrooms are spreading over coral, yikes, gotta get some of those cut back. But the tank is very clean and presents a healthy appearance. I saw no algae of any kind, I guess all those tangs and rabbitfish are on the job!

We spent about 45 minutes looking at the tank. It was delightful.

Now I have an excuse to go to the Tropicana... ;D

jimroth said:
Maintenance must be a pain, I can't see how they (Austin) get down to the bottom. There is one area where mushrooms are spreading over coral, yikes, gotta get some of those cut back. But the tank is very clean and presents a healthy appearance. I saw no algae of any kind, I guess all those tangs and rabbitfish are on the job!

I can reach the bottom with long grabbers without getting my shoulders wet; I have worn a snorkel just to see what I am doing when placing corals though.
It is extremely difficult to trim back coral growth in a tank this deep as I can only reach by hand about a 1/3 of the way down.
Like any natural reef, corals must be able to defend their own territory or get overgrown. And the algae has had its day in this tank just like any other, its just a kick in the butt to get on top of the maintenance.

Jeff Turner from Reef Aquaria Design was one of the key people on that tank but there were others.

I've got a bunch of pictures I could scan and post if you guys want to see some pics of the build out on the tank and what it looked like in the early days.

Carlo

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Carlo said:
Jeff Turner from Reef Aquaria Design was one of the key people on that tank but there were others.

I've got a bunch of pictures I could scan and post if you guys want to see some pics of the build out on the tank and what it looked like in the early days.

Carlo
Carlos

Please post the pics. Thanks!

Red Bank vet Is a very impressive aquarium I was invovled in the installation with Jeff Turner and also Hackensack , Austin is doing a fantastic Job with both aquariums and I consider him a great freind there deff worth seeing Dave

Allquatics Dave said:
Red Bank vet Is a very impressive aquarium I was invovled in the installation with Jeff Turner and also Hackensack , Austin is doing a fantastic Job with both aquariums and I consider him a great freind there deff worth seeing Dave

Likewise Dave, I've got some zoas for you when your out here next...or when I finally get some time to head out your way.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The girl I work with goes to that vet for emergencies...she was in there the other day and took some pictures of it for me...she also said "There was a cute guy doing stuff to the tank"

She almost died when I said I could introduce her! LOL

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've never seen it in person but from what I've heard, Dave Tilton did a beautiful job setting it up and Austin's the man keeping it up.

Hey Austin, still using the gadgets on it?

ReefDrumz said:
The girl I work with goes to that vet for emergencies...she was in there the other day and took some pictures of it for me...she also said "There was a cute guy doing stuff to the tank"

She almost died when I said I could introduce her! LOL

:-*

I just helped with the install I contacted the vet hospital and got the ball rolling for Jeff Turner he builds some amazing stuff and let me just say Austin s Home aqaurium is by far one of the best ive ever seen

RichT said:
I've never seen it in person but from what I've heard, Dave Tilton did a beautiful job setting it up and Austin's the man keeping it up.

Hey Austin, still using the gadgets on it?

yes thats true, Dave did a great job getting a big tank up and going

I cant imagine maintaining these big tanks without the gadgets. I'm running low so I may need you to get back into business ;)

Allquatics Dave said:
I just helped with the install I contacted the vet hospital and got the ball rolling for Jeff Turner he builds some amazing stuff and let me just say Austin s Home aqaurium is by far one of the best ive ever seen

I'm getting ready to break this system down. RAD is building me a 48x48 cube

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Allquatics Dave said:

I'll second that! :D