• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Huge skimmer pump needed

So I have a huge skimmer I made my self I bought a 1200 GPH pump and It does not run the skimmer at all. It is a Bekket skimmer about 2.5' tall 1.5 inch inlet tube and a 8" outlet tube . Any suggestions on a good pump I can use. I tried to mod the pump but it doesn't work with it. Bobb

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lord, I am also confused by the eight inch outlet. The beckett type skimmer that I am familiar with is the MRC. For this skimmer to function properly, it has a gate valve on the outlet side. You control the function of the skimmer by micro turns of this gate valve. If the outlet is wide open, the skimmer won’t function.

If you have an 1 1/2 inlet to pump water in, and the outlet is 8" I don't think you'll ever get the skimmer filled with water. You would need a ridiculously big pump. Unless thats what hes trying to do. He might of meant 2" outlet? Would be more to scale

Sorry about the confusion I think I said that wrong. here is a pic of it almost done. I ment the pipe on the other side was 8" but went into a 1.5 inch pipe to the collection cup. it does have a gate valve that I adjust. the problem Im having is that water just comes out of the beckket not foam or bubbles of any kind so I thought it needs a bigger pump. or different kind of pump. Built this myself so I would like it to work. I can get water no bubbles.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I apologize in advance for the questions, but just trying to eliminate possible causes.

Is the beckett right side up? Did you include the flow diverter inside the beckett? How are you controlling the air being drawn into the beckett? Does that have a valve on it? A 12K gph would still drawn in air to form bubbles....might not be ideal, but I would think something would be going on. I’m currently running an MTC (that also uses a beckett), with a Mag 7. I will also tell you that the MRC that I was using in the past had a Mag 24 on it.

Yeah i would think any size pump would draw some amount of air in from the beckett. Maybe inspect your beckett further

I have a model 12 1200gph pump that I modded (big enuff?) I am trying to pump in the side of the skimmer eliminating the beckett at the moment. then ill see if i work this problem out. need to skim its been a while with no skimmer. just water changes of like 50 gal but getting pricey. Ill keep you posted and still like to have suggestions.

Well I give up for now :-\ my try failed. anyone have a skimmer that would work for a 300 gallon system they dont need. ;D and would like to sell