• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Humidity Control

Hi all,

I was cleaning around my sump yesterday when I noticed that the brackets holding the doors to the sump are almost completely rusted out. my stand is completely closed off with nowhere for the air to go so I occasionally leave to door open to let some humidity out. my question is can I drill into the side of the stand to put a small computer fan to pull in some fresh air?

will that hurt the structure of the stand?

Here is the description of the stand, I can't find much more info than this as deep blue's site is pretty vague:
Deep Blue Professional Series 1 Cabinet Stand 24x24 Black Features: Multi-door access, rear ports for electrical and filtration routing, satin finished door handles, pre-drilled for reef ready models, quality construction with moisture resistant finish, and metal locking cam assembly. fits 30 Mini Frags and 24x24 Edge Cube tanks

My other thought was just to put a fan on the inside and aim it at the crack between the 2 doors

Hard to tell if that pipe is your return, but it could just be mist from the return bubbles. Is the bottom bracket rusted?

If not you can easily replace that hinge and make a cover to block the spray.

When I had equipment under stand I used to have one fan bringing fresh air in and one on opposite side pulling air from cabinet. Also allowed for cooling better. You won't have any structure issues, drill round holes away from edges. If you are really concerned drill/ install on the doors, they aren't supporting any weight anyway.

A fan would help but it could also promote evap - (not necessarily a bad thing) but just keep that in mind if your ATO isn't big.