• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Humming Birds Have Hit New Jersey

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I recently read that they might show up early this year with the mild winter- going to put out my feeders this weekend- I'm in Chester, so they may be a few days/ a week away- I do the 1 to 4 recipe- i cup sugar to 4 cups water. I have 5 feeders all around my house- all out of sight of each other

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I hung up couple of hummingbird houses. My neighbor has the feeder so hope they nest in what i have.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I hung up couple of hummingbird houses. My neighbor has the feeder so hope they nest in what i have.

Mark, let us know how the houses work out. I looked into them a couple years ago and at the time they stated that hummers are nest builders and not house livers. They are cute though.

I've never hung houses, but have always get a bunch of hummers every year- but my property is wooded

Woods make a big difference. We use to have undeveloped acres behind us and now just a tree line. Our hummer visits drop drastically when the woods went away....now all houses. My sugar water goes bad before it's all consumed.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
We have a little bit if wooded area. Also, have stray cats and other birds, blue jay, black birds, crow etc.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
" My sugar water goes bad before it's all consumed".. I make a quart of food at a time but only fill the feeders halfway at first, don't fill them until the babies are out of the nest. I store my unused food in the fridge

radiata

NJRC Member
I researched humming bird houses a few years back. The best position for one is under an eave of your home. The problem with that is that hummingbirds actually sh*t both sideways and forcibly, decorating the side of your home with interesting patterns.

I recollect that they're a bit territorial too, limiting a home to probably just one on your property.

radiata

NJRC Member
Anyone seen any Goldfinches yet? My first annual sighting is usually on my Magnolia when the tree first blooms. But the Magnolia started blooming a good two weeks ago, and no Goldfinches yet. My friend Warren, at Sea Level, just returned from an 11-day birding trip to Mexico. He says he saw many of them there.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Anyone seen any Goldfinches yet? My first annual sighting is usually on my Magnolia when the tree first blooms. But the Magnolia started blooming a good two weeks ago, and no Goldfinches yet. My friend Warren, at Sea Level, just returned from an 11-day birding trip to Mexico. He says he saw many of them there.
My neighbor had about 8 at his feeder last week.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I researched humming bird houses a few years back. The best position for one is under an eave of your home. The problem with that is that hummingbirds actually sh*t both sideways and forcibly, decorating the side of your home with interesting patterns.

I recollect that they're a bit territorial too, limiting a home to probably just one on your property.
They are very territorial, later in the season, mine will guard the feeder they 'own' and chase all others away. I have multiple feeders, most are hung from the eves on each side of the house- out of sight of each other and outside windows for my viewing pleasure

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
We hung 2 HB houses, one on each side of the house for territorial reasons. Hope, they sue them.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
We had one last weekend on a feeder, haven't seen him since though.
Also, we have a pair of sparrows in our awning that have already hatched chicks. Seems early.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
So much for them getting here early-- finally saw my first a couple of days ago- and numbers seem to be down. I put up a mirror so I can chill watching my tank and keep an eye on one of my feeders- double chill :);)

DYIguy

NJRC Member
My chair with a view. This view is when I turn my chair around at my computer desk- the feeder seen in the bottom is from a mirror- I get to see that one when working on the computer- now I just have to get a bigger mirror so I can see the tank when working on the computer lol

1683572789930.jpeg

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here in NC, I get humming birds all year. We take special precautions during the cold months to help protect them.