• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydra repair

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
As some of you already know I’m building a new 120 mixed reef.
While at the party at Motortrenz house we were talking and I told him I was Planning on using my old AI Vegas to light the new system but I was worried that it wasn’t going to be enough coverage. He then graciously offered his old hydra 52’s and 26’s with multiple blown channels. His thought was that we could cannibalize the drivers from all 5 and maybe get two good lights.
52B9240A-3BA0-48B6-AFAB-7BC724F28E0D.jpeg
We did much better than that!!!!!
As it turned out it wasn’t blown drivers at all it was corroded printed circuit board.
A4C77383-7157-4752-B38F-E6564A1C2C6D.jpegBF1C108E-4223-40A6-A30C-6A63FF7F641E.jpeg
Unfortunately I didn’t really take a whole Lot of pictures during the process but we were able to make a jumper from copper wire to go from one end of the corrosion to the other
E683A940-889E-4C37-A7AF-8D9514A743AD.jpeg
When I take the lights down I will post a couple of more pictures I’ll take them apart and show the actual copper wire soldered on right now the lights are up and running and out of five we were Able to get four completely working with only a single bulb out on one fixture pretty impressive.
Here are four of them on the tank the last one needs a jumper still and that one will probably get used on a frag tank.image.jpg
This is why I scream the praises of NJ Reefers here’s a guy who I never met me before or so I thought. Turns out we played hockey together 10 years ago and I didn’t recognize him until he said didn’t I play hockey with you and we laughed about it.
He gave me his lights never asked for a dime for anything in return. And when I said I would give them back to him when I bought new lights he said don’t bother pass them on to the next guy, that’s great!!!!!
That’s the kind of generosity that makes NJ Reefers Great.