• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydras vs Vegas

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Since im going with no canopy. Wont be using T5s.... So need a full spectrum light.....

Hydras - have a violet and UV light
Vegas - controllability (not very important... since i wouldnt know how to dial in 60 leds anyway.. lol)..

Question is how important are the UV lights to corals. I prefer the Vegas.. but the UV sounds interesting...

Thanks for the responses

I have been reading a bunch about this. I just upgraded my radions gen 1 to the radion pro for the uv. The led uv isn't a true uv. It doesn't fall into the same spectrum as actual ultra violet light but from what I read its so close it doesn't matter. When you read about people running LEDs and t5's is because they want the uv. It gives the sps their dark rich color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I will throw a wrench in the plans. Maxspect mazarras offer full spectrum and unlimited upgrades.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have been reading a bunch about this. I just upgraded my radions gen 1 to the radion pro for the uv. The led uv isn't a true uv. It doesn't fall into the same spectrum as actual ultra violet light but from what I read its so close it doesn't matter. When you read about people running LEDs and t5's is because they want the uv. It gives the sps their dark rich color. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Do you have pics of the lights on. Do ou notice a warmer light hue due to the uv's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Do you have pics of the lights on. Do ou notice a warmer light hue due to the uv's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
[/QUOTE]

Yes you can def see the difference.
null_zps18847997.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
For what it's worth this picture is of just the UV lights on. I notice the difference between having and not having them. I like the way the Pro's look much better and I'm sure the corals like it better also. Only time will tell

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can only assume the LEDs that claim to emit ultraviolet light have a large component of wavelengths that are NOT ultraviolet, and this particular portion of energies fall into the visible light spectra. Ultraviolet light (as well as infrared on the other end of the spectra) is not visible to the human eye. If the above picture was under all ultraviolet light, you would see darkness. Again, what you are seeing is whatever other wavelengths are there (along with presumably the UV).

I know I didn’t answer the question about whether UV is beneficial to corals, but the science in me wanted to clarify what we humans can see (or not see), as far as UV is concerned.

If any of the manufacturers provide a spectrum of their LED's, I will guarantee that they show part of that spectrum above 400nm in wavelength. We don't see anything below 400nm.