• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I’m at a loss 0.17 Po4

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
I can’t keep my po4 down I did a water change got it down to 0.11 put in some chemi pure blue on a hob after 24hrs it’s back up to .17 as my last thread I was looking for chaeto so my next move I just order the cpr job fuge last night won’t be coming till the 14th

What can I do in the meantime more water changes? Only so much water i can make in demand.

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
@Yates273 Hanna ulr and yes a little bit only on two rocks getting long hairs and growing on my snails I don’t think it is because my elegance is slowly going bye bye and a few sps bleached

Phosphates are tricky, the Hanna does a good job but it's not a complete picture. If your tank is new. It may be leeching from something. Seafood, especially from the grocery store is sprayed with phosphate to preserve them, could be coming from that if you made your own food and didn't rinse. Long term Refugiums work. My personal choice would be small amounts of rowaphos changed weekly with carbon in small amounts. Start with like 1/10 the recommended amount and increase a small amount every week or two till You're good. Gotta figure out your "dose"

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
Phosphates are tricky, the Hanna does a good job but it's not a complete picture. If your tank is new. It may be leeching from something. Seafood, especially from the grocery store is sprayed with phosphate to preserve them, could be coming from that if you made your own food and didn't rinse. Long term Refugiums work. My personal choice would be small amounts of rowaphos changed weekly with carbon in small amounts. Start with like 1/10 the recommended amount and increase a small amount every week or two till You're good. Gotta figure out your "dose"
Okay I’ll look into that my tank is a little over a year old I’m thinking it has to be leeching from something because after 5 gal water change it went from .17 to .11 back up to .17

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
Be very careful with your phosphates trying to bring them down after they went up is when I have lost the more stuff. Just be very careful man and I’m sorry for your losses.
Yeah that’s the thing im trying very slow methods im really hoping this refugium helps

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
Thoughts on this I added a barnacle cluster that I got online ever since then is when my hair and algae started and the decline of my elegance
IMG_8347.jpeg
IMG_8348.png
IMG_8349.png
IMG_8351.png

Attachments

• IMG_8346.jpeg
    IMG_8346.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 4

Rueric

NJRC Member
What are you feeding?
I've found that sometimes, dosing nitrates also help to reduce phosphates a bit.
Coral food are extremely high in phosphate, especially powdered food like reef roids or similar products.
AB+ is also extremely high in phosphates.

Try running GFO, theres also lanthanum chloride but you'd need to be careful using that one.
One advice I can give is to look into an auto feeder.
If pellets is what you're feeding (I use TDO personally), it will help to stabalize the phosphate input into your tank so you can easily calibrate going forward.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I’m hopefully finally on the tail end of a GHA outbreak and have been leering my phosphates by using GFO and Tropic Marin’s Elimi-Phos at half the recommended dosage. Each week I’m having to remove less algae manually and the corals are starting to look better.

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
What are you feeding?
Usually a cube of mysis
I've found that sometimes, dosing nitrates also help to reduce phosphates a bit.
I can look into this
Coral food are extremely high in phosphate, especially powdered food like reef roids or similar products.
AB+ is also extremely high in phosphates.
Yeah I just recently stopped
Try running GFO, theres also lanthanum chloride but you'd need to be careful using that one.
One advice I can give is to look into an auto feeder.
Okay I don’t have one and I don’t feed often usually around 3 I feed
If pellets is what you're feeding (I use TDO personally), it will help to stabalize the phosphate input into your tank so you can easily calibrate going forward.
I usual feed omega flakes and pellets

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
I’m hopefully finally on the tail end of a GHA outbreak and have been leering my phosphates by using GFO and Tropic Marin’s Elimi-Phos at half the recommended dosage. Each week I’m having to remove less algae manually and the corals are starting to look better.
Maybe I’ll look into this my lps looks Good it’s just the sps my monts are great it’s just the more finiky ones are looking pale and some bleached

Grab some Rowaphos and medi bag and filter floss put a very small amount media bag seal it up and put some filter floss around the bag and stick it in sump/hob. This should slowly bring down phosphates. But you should be testing daily to monitor you don’t want them to bottom out

I know I’m going against the grain here but I have been battling GHA for a while I manually remove, but it always comes back and encroaches in my corals. I have dosed Vibrant in the past and it works like a charm. I do a small 13 ml dose once a week in my 120 after 3 weeks my GHA is gone. Nothing else affected in tank. I know the whole story behind Vibrant but man it works. I have tried everything for my GHA. Vibrant seems to be the only thing that works. Guess because it’s an algaecide.
All my nutrients also seem to be in check as well so not sure why the GHA likes my tank. I know, something is out of whack, but I still haven’t figured that out yet.

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
Grab some Rowaphos and medi bag and filter floss put a very small amount media bag seal it up and put some filter floss around the bag and stick it in sump/hob. This should slowly bring down phosphates. But you should be testing daily to monitor you don’t want them to bottom out
So after 24hrs my phos dropped to .13 if this stuff doesn’t work and the fuge I will try out your idea

Adam L

NJRC Member
Get a phosban reactor and run some gfo. If it’s a year old I doubt the po4 is leaching from dry rock anymore unless you added new. Now matter what you are feeding cut it in half. Your fish will be fine. Test weekly. water change 20% weekly. If you are using RedSea AB+ or similar amino cut it in half too. Don’t feel corals with reef roids or similar for a while or at least not more than every other week. Also, how many fish to you have? how’s the cleanup crew? If you've lost snails and hermits and such you may need to replenish.