• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I can get a new ApexEL for $400, talk me out of it

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have 2 temp probes through 2 temp controllers each with a single heater hooked up with all set to 80F max (sorta quad protection).
I have 3 Hydra 26s on programming, and 4 T5s on timers.
My ATO runs through my kalk stirrer, which is adjusted monthly based on top off. It also beeps like a ^&%^&$ if water level too high or too low.
My sump lights are on a timer, opposite my Hydra/T5 schedule.
My MP40s are wireless, on M/S, and toned down to 20% at night. THere are 2 Seaswirls in the back wall maintaining a bit of a chaos flow.
I hit a button on the MP40s to feed tank and spot feed some LPS and anems, which I would have to spot feed anyways.
I have been decent at spot checking the Alk lately, and can adjust my kalk concentration as needed.

Per me, it seems that I have all bases covered.
The last thing I want is a text from my tank while at work that something is screwed, as I can't leave work anyways.

I want it, as its nice, and cool colors, and tech.
Do I really need this?

Eh my apex does make things easier but if your just looking so do basic controlling like I do then I'd maybe consider an older model. I really only use my apex to control my 2 heaters , but it is nice being able to control everything in the same interface. It makes maintenance easy too, so instead of unplugging stuff I just slide it off on my phone

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
the money you save will be gone in a heartbeat if you want to add salinity module. Which I think el doesn’t have. Also there is no dimming prone. If u eventually need these. You will h
Go in deeper than just spending the extra 300 upfront.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I have no plans on buying a controller. Everything is wireless now all controlled by your phone. And tests are more accurate then probes.
This is actually how I feel but I will never say never.iam trending this way and my next purchase will probably be new dosing system wireless. I want to get rid of my digital aquatics controller only using it for top off and dosing.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I love apex!! upgrading over wifi is so much easier too !!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a full apex system but if I did it over again I would only get the EL
The salinity probe is horrible. Orb means nothing to me and the Ph can’t be trusted.

being able to turn off and on plugs can be done with an amazon smart power strip. All the newer lights have their own controller.

the auto water changes with the dos are good. But the echotech dosing pump looks better and no noise.

I bought a Classic JR for $150 which comes with a PH probe. All I ever need, PH and dosing.
Same here minus the pH , the apex junior works perfectly for me and the only add-on module I found to be useful for me is the wxm, gives me good control over my mp40

I enjoy my Apex. I have no problems aside from slight fluctuation with salinity probe(temp related mostly) I calibrate it in sump based off refractometer.
One touch feeding.
Delayed skimmer restart after main pump has been off allows sump to empty to normal level.
Delayed UV restart. Water cools it. Also shuts off when main pump is off or 0 flow.
Shuts heaters off when sump pump is off/failed or 0 flow. Heaters are in sump. Downstream of temp sensor. Using Inkbird/Apex and non thermostatic heaters.
Equipment monitoring through voltage and amps. UV at 7 watts instead of 25 you will know. Sump light out, you will know. Heater quit or pulling 150 watts and its 500 watts. ETC.
Auto water change.
Low /high water sensors in pump chambers. (Auto water change,) ATO empty, clogged socks, etc.
I use ORP as a measure of water quality/stability. It drops after tank is fed. Something dies, rotting. Dirty socks, Carbon used up, Skimmer overflows, ETC.
I have dosing pump hooked to power bar, If PH skyrockets it shuts down power to dosing pump.
Turn skimmer back on after Amino, Phyto ETC from couch or set up different feed schedule that delays skimmer longer.
Leak detection.
Turn things off due to excessive temp.
Many other things that can be Coded in. Like a LED strip light that only turns on if something is out of whack, to catch your attention.

The other stuff it can do like FMM kit. I use so I don't put 70 watts power/heat for 700 gallons flow. Instead 450 gallons at 35 watts.
also use it for flow thru reactors.

Trident. ALK Timeline is great for dialing in dosing when not using a DOS dosing pump.

I don't use my main lights or power heads on Apex (EXCEPT T5) . Need some fail safe if Apex goes down.

Do you need it? NO
Is it cool, yes. Techie oh yes.
Makes life easier, yes.
Some piece of mind, yes.
Expensive yes.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks all.
I'm probably going to hold atm due to being out of work suddenly (Corona).
When I move and rewire the tank I may go for it initially for the pH and temp control.
When I get everything clean and sleek I'll look into potential expansion to start controlling pumps and water changes.