• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I caught a wild seahorse

I caught a wild Seahorse Hippocampus erectus ---Lined seahorse -- size 4 1/2 inches in Shark River three weeks ago--the first day it only ate live Brine Shrimp the second day I started to mix frozen with live Brine Shrimp a couple of days later it started eating frozen only. Now it eats frozen Mysis Shrimp
and frozen Brine Shrimp. I have hermit crabs they eat the leftovers and sometimes I
have to vacuum out the uneaten foods. I feed it three times a day but when I am not home I feed it twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening.
The seahorse looks healthy it is doing fine it is easy to feed now, but if I had
a heads-up I would not have put it in a tank with Agranite sand I would not
use any substrate on the bottom for better clean up after meals.
NOW FEEDINGS ARE EASY I PURCHASED A VARIETY OF FROZEN FOODS TO ADD TO ITS DIET.
I USE A LONG Kent Marine Nautilus Sea Squirt Feeding Prong IT WORKS GREAT.
I caught a piperfish a couple of weeks ago they are non-aggressive and living
together just fine. I hope to find my Female Hippocampus erectus ---Lined seahorse
a male soon or I will have to purchase one.

I spend so much time just sitting there watching the seahorse I think it is worth
the time spent feeding and clean up

"IT IS NOT PROBLEM AT ALL HAVING A SEAHORSE"

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You do not want to buy a male to add to your tank unless you can find someone up this way selling wild caught ones. Mixing wild caught and captive bred specimens results in death for the captive bred ones 99% of the time. Wild caught seahorses are usually loaded with worms and pathogens that captive ones have little, or no, resistance to.

They don't have to be kept in pairs. You can add another female and they'd be just fine. Adding a male will result in them breeding and raising the babies requires a lot of time. Not to mention the different live food cultures you'll need going to feed the babies.

I keep the temp. in my seahorse aquarium at 75% is that to warm even when I turned off the heater for a day it stays at 75% but I am afraid of it getting to cold
when I am at work so I keep the heater on. but it never gets higher then 75%
I have three thermometers in different places in the tank it stays consistent.
I tested the thermometers in another tank and they are working.
I do not have central air so it never gets cold in my home or too hot.
(Is there any type of supplement I could soak the food in for the seahorse?)
She is a good eater she eats the frozen Mysis and Brine shrimp I also have
Plankton I am going to start feeding Her.I believe she is a Hippocampus erectus ---Lined seahorse 4 1/2 inches. how young is She? I caught her in the river
three weeks ago in a crab trap. she did not get injured from the crabs. She looks
healthy and I can see her personality when she swims confidant back and forth
in the center of the 20 gallon extra high tank. I hope to get her a male soon.
She lives with a Piperfish I caught & two Green Chromis they leave her alone
and hermit crabs in the tank.

Thanks for the information---- panmanmatt ---- I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE MAYBE I CAN FIND A WILD CAUGHT SEASHORE IF NOT I WILL BE HAPPY KEEPING HER ALONE.

THANK YOU

Paul B

NJRC Member
They are very common on the east coast. I collected a dozen last week. This pair I collected in NY are spawning. You can see the female transfering the eggs to the male.
They lived a couple of years and I raised the fry to adulthood and spawned them also. The problem with seahorses is that they have no real stomach and need to be fed a few times a day, preferably all day. Brine shrimp is not a good diet but it was all I fed mine and they seemed to thrive but I needed a lot of brine shrimp. I even invented and patented a seahorse feeder which fed them live brine all day. I sold 6,000 of them.

scan0003-1.jpg

Paul B said:
They are very common on the east coast. I collected a dozen last week. This pair I collected in NY are spawning. You can see the female transfering the eggs to the male.
They lived a couple of years and I raised the fry to adulthood and spawned them also. The problem with seahorses is that they have no real stomach and need to be fed a few times a day, preferably all day. Brine shrimp is not a good diet but it was all I fed mine and they seemed to thrive but I needed a lot of brine shrimp. I even invented and patented a seahorse feeder which fed them live brine all day. I sold 6,000 of them.

scan0003-1.jpg

WOW THAT IS GREAT--I HAVE BEEN BACK TO SHARK RIVER ABOUT 15 TIMES SINCE I CAUGHT MY SEAHORSE AND I PURCHASED SOME LARGE FISHING TRAPS AND USED SHRIMP FOR BAIT -I HAD NO LUCK. WHERE DID YOU FIND YOUR SEAHORSES? IT IS BREEDING SEASON STARTING IN OCTOBER.
THERE SHOULD BE MORE OUT THERE.
I ENDED UP PURCHASING A MATE FOR MY SEAHORSE FOR $60.00.
THEY SEXUALLY MATURE AT 4 MONTHS SO THEY CAN REPRODUCE YOUNG.
I AM ENJOYING LEARNING AND SPENDING TIME WITH MY SALT WATER TANK.
I AM A NEW HOBBYIST - MY KIDS ARE ALL GROWN AND I HAVE THE TIME TO
SPEND. I AM HOPING TO BREED THE TWO I HAVE. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK
I WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE MORE OF THEM.
WHERE CAN I FIND YOUR FEEDER THAT SOUND INTERESTING CONGRATULATIONS ON
YOUR SUCCESS.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Abitnutty, seahorses are easy to collect with a two man seine net that you drag through grass flats. You can't catch them with a baited trap.
I don't sell my feeders anymore, I built and sold 6,000 of them, thats enough ::)

Paul B said:

scan0003-1.jpg

WOW - They are amazing